Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Trackbars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 06:25 PM
ga_noplugs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trackbars?

Ok guys. Been reading up on suspensions based on all the stuff ya'll have been talking about and I have a question about Trackbars.
What exactly is the reason to "upgrade/ replace" your existing one. What does it actually do for your steering/feel of the steering. For that matter, if you have one "wearing out" (for lack of a better way to ask) how can you tell?

Inquiring minds....[sm=confused06.gif]

Old 07-02-2007, 07:36 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Default RE: Trackbars?

ORIGINAL: ga_noplugs

Ok guys. Been reading up on suspensions based on all the stuff ya'll have been talking about and I have a question about Trackbars.
What exactly is the reason to "upgrade/ replace" your existing one. What does it actually do for your steering/feel of the steering. For that matter, if you have one "wearing out" (for lack of a better way to ask) how can you tell?

Our trucks have what known as the " death shake " it happens more with larger tires but, while traveling down the road if you happen to hit a pot hole, your front end can start to shake uncontrollably. It's something Ram's have had a problem with for a long time. The only way to stop it is to hit the brakes or floor it and hope you can drive out of it.

Stock track bars have a solid bushing at one end that doesn't really give. The newer aftermarket bars now have heim joints which articulate so they can flex the way they should. They're also a little bigger than stock to hold up to more abuse.

If you find your truck is tracking all over the road... you can replace all the linkage in the front to those with heim joints. It's a night and day difference.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:39 PM
firemansdodge
Professional

ORIGINAL: triton

ORIGINAL: ga_noplugs

Our trucks have what known as the " death shake " it happens more with larger tires but, while traveling down the road if you happen to hit a pot hole, your front end can start to shake uncontrollably. It's something Ram's have had a problem with for a long time. The only way to stop it is to hit the brakes or floor it and hope you can drive out of it.

Stock track bars have a solid bushing at one end that doesn't really give. The newer aftermarket bars now have heim joints which articulate so they can flex the way they should. They're also a little bigger than stock to hold up to more abuse.

If you find your truck is tracking all over the road... you can replace all the linkage in the front to those with heim joints. It's a night and day difference.

Well said. Also it tightens the steering up so going around turns/corners there is little to no play.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:08 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Triton, you back up and running? I haven't seen you around here for a while. Everything OK in your world?

Old 07-02-2007, 11:15 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

the adjustable ones like the one Don Thuren offers www.thurenfabrication.com can also be used to recenter the axle if you've lifted the truck some. I had one of his bars on my 2000 and liked it. I'd imagine the 3rd gen bar is just as good

Old 07-02-2007, 11:49 PM
triton
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: NickBeek

Triton, you back up and running? I haven't seen you around here for a while. Everything OK in your world?
Not quite yet. My truck is in Indiana having a few custom twicks done. It may be a month or so since
some of it has to be forged

Nothing to do but, play in the boat now. We went out to Hartwell this weekend. Man ! it must have been 15ft. low and hotter than hell !
I think I'll stick to the lakes in the mountains :-)

Old 07-03-2007, 12:49 AM
ga_noplugs

ORIGINAL: firemansdodge

Well said. Also it tightens the steering up so going around turns/corners there is little to no play.
Is that because of the bushing used over having a heim joint on both sides of an aftermarket trackbar?

I think im begining to get this...

Old 07-03-2007, 05:26 AM
dodgedisl4x4

Front track bar, and tie rodends can also be replaced by using Luke's Links, which elimnates the 'Death Shake'. I've got over 300k on my truck and the stock front bushings in the arms are still doing their job. I did rebuild the front 'panhard bar' with using a flex joint.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:12 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

the easiest fix for the "death wobble" is to add caster to the alignment... moving the pivot point forwards like a shopping cart wheel. Had the DW 1 time in my 2000, did the research, got the alignment adjusted and never had it again. the steering dampner & tracbar will help if your not willing to do the alignment adjustment.

Quick Reply: Trackbars?