Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Long Haul Maintenance/Prep

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 01:55 AM
JT824Megacab
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Long Haul Maintenance/Prep

One other thing I would consider would be tires on your trailer. Are they brand new? If not consider carrying more than one spare for the trailer. I am currently on vacation, I started in California, went to Michigan, then to Tennessee then to Canada and back to Michingan. I have had a total of three flats on my trailer tires at different times. I carried 3 spare tires.Three maybe extreme for some people but I would consider atleast carrying two spare tires. Sounds like you have dual axle's on your trailer and you could hit someting that causes a flat to thetireson one side (possible but not very probable). I also carried a 3-ton floor jack with me. It was rather bulky butit madechanging those flats very easy.I also had a 12-volt impact gun. Not asefficient as theelectric orair powered butit got the job done. Just my two cents........

Old 07-07-2007, 02:02 AM
Sereguial
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Long Haul Maintenance/Prep

The trailer itself is Brand New, so tires have <100miles on them, but I am planning on getting a spare before I go just in case... And since I am moving my entire house, which includes my garage, I have ALL my tools in there, so I won't have any issues changing tires if need be. Plus I have packed some stuff up already and am packing in such a way that I can get to most (if not all) my tools with relative ease (Have a door on the side and left some room where I can get in to get at my tool box and such).
But thank you for the heads up! I am really not so much worried about the trailer itself, more of the truck, not that I am worried that a Cummins can't handle 10k, just that I cant handle a Cummins with 10k (I forget to do maintenance and am too hard on something one time, for the last time... brakes, tranny, you name it).

Quick Reply: Long Haul Maintenance/Prep