Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Long Haul Maintenance/Prep

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 03:07 AM
Sereguial
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Haul Maintenance/Prep

Hi Everyone,
I am new to this forum, but am not new to Dodges! I do have some issues with towing terminology, so please bare with me.
I currently own a 2003 Ram 2500 HO Diesel, with 6 speed, 4x4. To be more specific it is a quad cab short bed. It is pretty much bone stocke except that it has a short throw shifter in it, and a K&N FIPK2 intake system. It currently has 105k miles or so. I have taken VERY good care of the truck so far, and have done most (if not all) scheduled maintenance. I do all repairs and maintenance myself, and I am relatively skilled auto hobbiest (have rebuilt 3 engines all of which were a major success, countless repairs, and currently am building a chopper, so I know my way around a shop for the most part).
Well I am in the Navy and do quite a bit of moving but this is my first big move/haul with this truck. I am going to be towing a 22' V-Nose enclosed trailer (not 5th wheel, but typical hitch setup) which has GTW of 10k # (which I will be very close to that weight for this haul). This haul with be from Idaho to South Carolina (approx 3000 miles) in early October, so any weather from hot as heck to rain/snow is a possibility. I already know some specifics of hauling, I plan on using a ReeseStraite-Line Trunionbar hitch (anti-sway and weight distributing) rated for 1200 # tounge and 12k #GTW. Using the Tekonsha P3 brake controller. I alsoam going to upgrade my mirrors to the factory towing mirrors. I know to load weight in trailer evenly side to side, and approx 10-15% trailer weight on tounge (hence the hitch of 1200# tounge weight)
With that background in mind, I have a couple questions:
1) Is there anything I am missing for trailering 10k # 3k miles? Upgrades to the suspension, brakes, engine that are needed (of course we could all love to get a Banks 6 Pack for trailering... but don't want to afford that, for now...)
2) Recommended maintenance for long haul preperation (ANYTHING, small or big, I may have forgotten something)? I am thinking on using Royal Purple Synthetic Oil, any opinions? Royal Purple products in general (such as their coolant additive?)?
3) I am also wanting to (even though I everything I have seen says it isn't required...) change the tranny fluid out, any recommendations on they type of fluid? Again would a Royal Purple product work for the NV5600?
4) Any other tips/tricks of the trade with these trucks? I just want to make my baby last, and not have to deal with any preventable problems when I am in the middle of Iowa, with nothing but corn fields around...
I am sorry if this has already been posted 100's of times before, I was just hoping for a more consice location for the information (I have problems looking for things I don't know to look for too...)
Thanks in advance for all the help!
Chris

Old 07-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Long Haul Maintenance/Prep

#1. nope. . .youve got everything. . .and dont worry about upping the power, she'll tow just fine.

#2. synthetics are good, I'm useing them right now with pretty good results over dyno juice.

#3. Amsoil makes a 5-30 MTF that is designed just for the NV5600. personaly I noticed better shifting, however it seems to be hit or miss for some. while I noticed better results, other people have stated they saw better shifting with royal purple, pensoil, ect.

#4. just keep driving her

Old 07-06-2007, 01:05 AM
SnowRider1

I've been towing this stuff all of my licensed life. With these rigs and the big ones, but this is the first Dodge. These engines are a smaller version of the big rigs. Your engine will handle the pull. Don't be expecting any fuel mileage records and just remember even with the trailer brakes, it takes a lot longer to stop. Double and tripple ckeck your mirrors before changing lanes. The rule that the old-time truck driver taught me was to use a gear 1 step lower to go down the hill (mountain) than what it took to go up it.(that was when their engines had just a little more power than what we have at hand right now) Take your time and keep your mind on the road and what you are doing, and you and you rig will both be fine.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:06 AM
swilsone

I just changed my tranny fluid with Amsoil MTF 5w30 advised by Drew and it's got me convinced about the shifting...much smoother! The only other things I can think of for a long haul would be the common sense stuff...with all the heat in the midwest watch your water temps; run your hands on the tires when you stop for fuel, etc to see that they aren't getting too hot;...Lean the seat back and let the big dog eat, bro!

Old 07-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Twoforme2
Veteran

Not so much for running good but for looking good, get a good coat of wax on before going, after 3k miles the road grime will build up and the wax will help make it much easier to clean when you get there

Old 07-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Twoforme2

Not so much for running good but for looking good, get a good coat of wax on before going, after 3k miles the road grime will build up and the wax will help make it much easier to clean when you get there
Believe it or not, that is an EXCELLENT tip !! A coat of wax will really make it easier to clean the truck later.

The only other thing I can think of is one of those Boone Box's that Geno's sells. You don't nessarily need THAT one, but it includes both hoses and an extra belt and a couple of other things. I imagine those things can come in pretty handy if you break down in Bumble-Hoo USA.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:04 PM
GlenninTexas
Rookie

I've got afew more suggestions. But overall you'vwe done a good job planning.
1. consider synthetic differential/rear end oil change.
2. install a transmission temp guage
3. consider installing a set of air bags
4. Make sure you have a good spare for the trailer AND a lug wrench and jack for the trailer.

Best of luck to you.

Regards, Glenn

Old 07-06-2007, 07:35 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I went from TN to AZ and back in my truck back before I found this forum. It was bone stock and turned 100k on the trip. I towed about 9k out there and back with no problem. Check you fuel filter, air filter and oil level before you leave and you should be fine.

If you change the fluid in the NV5600, make sure you use a synthetic type made for a sychromesh tranny. At 105k you really don't need to worry about changing the fluid unless you have been putting some strain on it.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:53 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

What's been said above + Check your tires before you leave (cold) max out trialer tires, truck I run 70 psi rear and 65 up front (stock "E" rated tires). I thought I remembered reading somewhere about adding extra fluid to the manual trans, Drew?? I got pretty decent mileage (11.3 mpg)running 65 mph recently towing my camper. Since you are in the Nav, I expect you are going to Charleston SC? Wherever you are heading in our great state, WELCOME! I also perform scheduled maintenance before hand if I anticipate hitting an interval while traveling, and check my oil level at each fuel stop. Don't forget to idle for a couple minutes 2-3 after running interstate speeds while towing ( cool the turbo). Haze grey and under way!

Old 07-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Sereguial
Professional

Thanks everyone for the responses!
I had never thought about the waxing the vehicle, but I would imagine it makes it MUCH easier, I have made the cross country trip 5 times, three of which towing something (in my "old" 97 dodge ram with 5.9L V8 auto), and I had to do a LOT ot prep it for the trip or I wouldn't get anywhere before I had to fix something... but that is what happens when you hit 190k on the stock automatic tranny...
Anyhow, I thought about air bags, but I was told that they are not necessary with a good weight distributing hitch and good loading on the trailer. Is this true or not? Anyone have experience with both setups? (I know airbags work wonders on non weight distributing hitch setups)
As far as the tranny temp guage, how, what, where? The typical questions, never heard of it before. I also had thought about doing an oil filter/pump setup for the tranny is something like this overkill? What temp should I expect in the tranny, and what should I want to limit it too?
As far as changing tranny fluid, I prefer to be better safe then sorry, and I always think of fluids (oils especially) as relatively cheap insurance.

Like I said THANK YOU!!! I am definately writing the maintenence items down, and will keep all the tips in mind as I drive!

NickBeek- I am going to Charleston, SC, well I am going BACK to Charleston, I have been in the Navy for 7 years (almost) and spent 4 of it in Charleston, loved the area, definately different then where I grew up (CA) but still very nice!

Quick Reply: Long Haul Maintenance/Prep