Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Bigriver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure

Hey Guys, here's a boring and likely insignificent question. Tire Pressure..........the tag inside my door indicates max pressure at 65 lbs. The tire's side wall indicates max at 85 lbs. When towing my 5'ver, I pump it up to 70 lbs. but after returning home I deflate to around 55 lbs. The ride is too harsh at 70lbs. without towing anything, but when I do tow, I want the best support possible.At what pressure would we find the best mpg setting. Any ideas ?

Old 07-08-2007, 11:22 AM
kg1687
Veteran
Default RE: Tire Pressure

Are your tires stock? If not the tag in the door might be stating that stock tires because if you have a different tire the pressure may change from the stock setting, also if you deflate your tires to help with your ride, your going to of course decrease mileage due to the fact that when deflated more surface tread is there. Helps with ride but decreases mileage, also it wears your sidewalls more.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:31 AM
mplebra
Rookie

As kg1687 stated the door tag references the stock tires or a replacement tire of the exact same specs (size, load rating). With that said, the tag indicates the best running tire pressure for fuel economy and ride comfort. When towing it is very common to increase the pressure (don't exceed the max ratingon the tire)to help out with the load.When finished towing lower the pressure to the manufacturers suggested pressure, but I would hesitate to run them lower than the recommended pressures.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:40 AM
Bigriver

Yes, I've got close to 29,000 mi. on my stock tires. The door tag indicates Max pressure of 65lbs. Though the ride is harsher, do you beleive that it gives the best fuel economy? As for the ride, I'm thinking over different possiblities regarding upgrading the springs and or air bags.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:22 PM
PRam
Professional

when I first got my truck the dealer only had 40 psi in the stock tires, after proper inflation I did see increased mileage.
I inflated them by the door sticker even though it stated a higher pressure on the tire sidewall.

paul

Old 07-08-2007, 05:52 PM
firemansdodge
Professional

I haven't had my stock tires since the first week, but w/ my 33" tires. I use the 80% inflation. Example: My Toyo's Tires E rated 80 psi max @ 80% = 64 psi for normal unloaded driving. When I tow then I put the max inflation of 80 psi.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:41 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

I run 70 rear and 65 up front year round. I tow almost every weekend from March through November. You get used to the ride, and the tires wear nice and give decent mileage.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:02 PM
kg1687
Veteran

I useally run close to the tire recommended pressure, It does give a rougher ride, but you can upgrade to airbags which aren't extremely expensive, priced a couple for my truck (think my springs are over sprung),had a few problems in the past with underinflated tires, plus if your out and about and something comes up and you dont have access to an air pump (happens in occassion) it just comes in handy not worrying so much about your tires going out. Everyone has their own opinion.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:11 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

big river, off topic but i must admit..... that first picture....you got yourself a nice A$$ on that thang!

Old 07-09-2007, 09:29 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Always go by what is on the tire, not the sticker on the door. I run 65 up front and 80 in the rear all the time. The tire says 80 max when cold. I figure that you can always loose air, but never get any to go back in unless you put it there. I tow almost every weekend with a heavy gooseneck trailer so that is why I leave it at the max.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure