Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

fluid change in diffs

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007 | 08:06 AM
Drew
Professional
Default RE: fluid change in diffs

well. . .when I changed the fluid I put in Amsoil 75-90. right off the bat I noticed a nearly 1mpg gain in fuel mileage. I had also been noticing some clatter from the axels. . .that all went away.

Old 07-13-2007 | 08:11 AM
speakle
All Star

Dammit Drew, now I have something else on my mind that I want to do.[:@]

Old 07-13-2007 | 08:15 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

I alsointend to put Amsoil Severe Gear in my differentials when the time comes. I heard that Dodge actuallyfills the diffs withsynthetic oil at the factory. It's hard to believe there would be that much difference between Amsoil gear oil and any other synthetic gear oil, but maybe it really is a superior oil.

Can anyone out there confirm that Dodge uses synthetic gear oil at the factory? I can't remember where I heard it but I think it was an online forum, either TDR or this one.

Old 07-13-2007 | 09:07 AM
Drew
Professional

it is true. . .the only fluid that is not "synthetic" from the factory is the engine oil. the type of synthetics that are used from the factory are actualy a group III, which is actualy a petroleum base synthetic blend(I hope I got my termonology correct there)

pulled this off the net
Group III base oils are subjected to the highest refining levels and while they originate from crude oil, they are chemically rearranged to offer molecular uniformity and stability for very good performance in a wide range of lubricating properties. They are commonly marketed as synthetic or mixed with lower group base oils and marketed as semi-synthetic products. Group III base oil products are increasing in popularity.
amsoil is a group V oil, which basicaly means it is a pure synthetic white oils, esters, silicones, and polyalkylene glycols. yea, I pulled a little of that off the internets as well

basicaly group III oils are highly processed petroleum oils and are still prode to alot of chemical reactions breaking the oil base down. where as group V are purely synthesized and do not chemicaly react like the other group type bases.

Old 07-14-2007 | 03:29 AM
cracker
Rookie

Thanks for the info guys. I need to break down and spend the cash and order the hi-tech cover.

Old 07-14-2007 | 01:54 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Anyone know the capacity of the front and rear with stock covers? 2005 2500.

Old 07-14-2007 | 02:26 PM
Bigriver

ORIGINAL: Drew

yea, that will be fine. . .I'm running amsoil 75-90 right now and it is a VAST improvement over stock. there is also a 75-110 out there as well that is supposed to be even better.
Yeah Drew, Thats what I put in mine awhile back. That weight was designed as a compromise between the 75-90 and the 80-140. Can I tell a difference as to whats going on back there, not really. It is reassuring to know that I have agood product where it counts.

Old 07-19-2007 | 12:14 AM
Bigriver

ORIGINAL: jimmydaleo

Hey Jimmy, Yesterday I dropped the front ( stock ) differencial pan, wiped it out clean, and re-installed the pan. I used Amsoil Severe Gear 75-110 synthetic and it took right at 3 quarts. When I changed out my rear pan with the larger ATS pan last month, it took about 5 quarts. Hope that this info helps.

Old 07-19-2007 | 10:43 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: Bigriver

ORIGINAL: jimmydaleo

Hey Jimmy, Yesterday I dropped the front ( stock ) differencial pan, wiped it out clean, and re-installed the pan. I used Amsoil Severe Gear 75-110 synthetic and it took right at 3 quarts. When I changed out my rear pan with the larger ATS pan last month, it took about 5 quarts. Hope that this info helps.
Thanks that helps a lot. I now know how much to buy.

Quick Reply: fluid change in diffs