Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

First part of my weekend projects

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 04:59 PM
savage.basher
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First part of my weekend projects

Did the box you built just sit down in the storage area?? You must have cut the bottom out of the storage area. My storage area thereis like 3"-4" deep,at best.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:01 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: cookie_monstr
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=6
its one of those...read where its says Thermal Power Handeling...that refers to the rms.(constant which is 400watts)
i think they are over priced when u can get somthing that is cheaper and that hits harder
like these
http://www.ddaudio.com/dd/caraudio/w...p?series=3500e
read where it says specifications down the page. you will see this
Power Handling RMS/Music/Peak
the 1st num is the constant which is 1200watts
then go to
Woofer Diameter down the list. those are the sizes. 10-12-15-18. each sub is capable of withstanding all that power. just that size makes the diff in the amount of air(sound) that u will hear.
hope this helps.
oh one more thing..they are hand built and signed by the builder so if u get a crappy sub..they get in trouble.
JL audio is probably one of the best sub companies out there, without spending thousands. You obviously have not ever heard a JL sub. The w7's will blow most anything else out of the water when it comes to loudness and clarity.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:14 PM
aka_chewy
All Star

Did the box you built just sit down in the storage area?? You must have cut the bottom out of the storage area. My storage area thereis like 3"-4" deep,at best.
I didn't have to cut anything up. The box does sit down in the storage area.Here are some more pics:

I took the plastic part out and it was an open bottom. I used 5/8" MDF, so that's the piece of board sitting there.

The sides I added where 3" tall. After that, I added3 more pieces of the 5/8" board. So overall, I suppose the storage area was about 6-8" deep.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:18 PM
5point9Magnum
Rookie

JL are really some of the best out. High priced yes, but thier quality is top of the line. Longevity, clear sound, hard hitting. Only other sub that comes to mind for tight space are the Kicker Comp's. They make a nice shallow mount unit rated as high as the regular mount, but from my exp. are lacking in longevity.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:19 PM
cookie_monstr
Professional

ORIGINAL: aka_chewy

ok..thats pretty bad *** set up. but an 8in sub would work better due to the amount of volume the box would have. im long over due to post up pic's of my set up. but im pushing 1000rms watts( constant amount of watts that are being pushed rather then max watts which is only for short burts of loundness) to two 8's. ill try to post up pics by tonight. but nice set up man.
I do have an 8" rockford fosgate, no idea what model, I would have to find it. But you think the 8" would be a better choice huh? Would it be any louder? What would some of the differences be? I always have loved audio stuff, but never have taken the time to research and spend good money on it.

Thanks for the info
not just any sub. if were to look at the second web site i likned up will show that theDD1500 sub holds 450rms. put in theright built boxit will hit hard.the amount ofspaceavailable would be best for an 8.it wont distort as soon and the volume is idel for an 8in sub. the 12 to sound proper and reach its optimum proformence would need bigger box. if u were to stick that 12 underone of the rear seats it would have the right volume i belive.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:23 PM
5point9Magnum
Rookie

[align=left]You can always port if your box is small, but it wont sound nearly as clean as a sealed box
[/align][align=center] [/align]

Old 07-15-2007, 06:38 PM
cookie_monstr
Professional

i wouldnt say all that. jl audio is good. but as in sound quality they dont cut it. ur in the wrong direction. image dynamics makes a much better sub for that. or dd is even up there as well. adire( now closed) was a great subwoofer to comepte with. anyone in the industry will tell u that there are many companys that arent huge and make great subs for the price as compared to jl audio. kicker comp is jus trash. sorry but my cousin had 2 L712s and i would way harder that his 2 subs being pushed at 2000watts with my 1 image dynamic 12 at 2000watts.
there is so much like rms, excursions( how much the sub comes out), efficiency( how much power to produce how much decibles) , magnet size, material ( not all materialis great for one thing) and price.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:42 PM
cookie_monstr
Professional

ORIGINAL: 5point9Magnum

[align=left]You can always port if your box is small, but it wont sound nearly as clean as a sealed box
[/align][align=center][/align]
true sealed boxes are idel for sharp clean bass...like for rock, classical, pop,
ported are used for when the 1. the box is to small and u need to compensate for volume 2. to compete 3.rap r&b .

Old 07-15-2007, 07:26 PM
5point9Magnum
Rookie

As far as sheer power handling JL arent top of the line, but IMO a great sub for a decent price. I love the old ID, Diamond Audio, Pheonix Gold, but they are few and far between. Alpine makes good things but more and more companys are totally commercialized and are sold by people at best buy who know nothing of good sound

Heck, my duel 2ways sounded better then the store owners JL audio setup that would have cost about 800 bucks installed

Old 07-15-2007, 08:42 PM
speakle
All Star

You can only do a 10" under the back seat unless you build a single enclosure and go far to one side to make up air space (I speak from experience). A ported box also is usually bigger than a sealed box.

Quick Reply: First part of my weekend projects