Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

First part of my weekend projects

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 11:03 PM
cookie_monstr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First part of my weekend projects

Old 07-15-2007, 11:12 PM
cookie_monstr
Professional

this one is like mine. 2 dd 1500 8s
http://www.innovativeride.com/g52.htm

1 fire down image dynamic 12
http://www.innovativeride.com/g09.htm

and the almost ultimate build. the air travels down the middle of the counsel to the front. 2 12in kicker comps are in till the dd 3500 12s come in
http://www.innovativeride.com/g38.htm

and one more. the amp weighs about 80 somthing pounds or somthing like that. it does about 10,000watts and it needs its own batter and alternator. i think it cost like 8grand.
http://www.innovativeride.com/g33.htm

Old 07-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Ben D.
Champion

needs more than a battery and alternator JBL crown amps are some of the best amps made but they are power hogs. for their 6000 watt monoblock the current draw is close to 600 amps. which is an insane amount of power for an electrical system of a car to keep up with.

the only reason an 8 is better for this setup you have chewy is because an 8 takes up less volume of the box and since your already having very low volume the 8 can give you more volume and be closer to what the sub needs therefore sound better.

I'm not sure I understand where cookie was talking about the ten will distort sooner because of the enclosure the only thing I can think of is that since the enclosure may not be built to what the sub is meant for it will not have a good enough air cushion behind it and then it will overexcur and damage itself or there will be too much pressure and it will have issues with that as well. it's not that if you don't put a sub in the right enclosure it won't be as loud it's if it aint in the right enclosure you may damage it. Cookie seems to know more about enclosures than I do.i'm good with them but that's where my lacking is. I can build them but designing them to work perfect with the sub is somehting i'm still learning but soon. If you wanna elaborate on teh distortion if i'm a bit off on my assumption then please do never hurts to learn. or were you saying the 8 won't distort because it has a higher rms value.

do not pay attention to anything other than rms values. peak values mean nothing. they are just there for an advertisement gimmic. Many companies label amps as 1000 watt max when they are only 400 watts rms. that's because they test the amp and overlaod it with voltage and current and it'll put out 1000 watts for like .11111 secs. so they say then at max it hits 1000 watts. big woop you can get that for .1 secs.
same thing with subs they know it can handle 400 continuous so they give it 1000 watts and it blows after 4 secs. then they label the sub as 1000 watts max. many good companies do not do that sort of advertising. look for CEA certifications on any product you buy. JL audio is not CEA certified because they test amps at 12.2V instead of 14.4V. not a big deal JL's theory is not many ppl's cars can give out 14.4v steady when there is a big draw on the system. but CEA clearly states that they must be tested at 14.4. but CEA makes ure that those companies don't do the procedures I stated above.

although I do disagree with cookies statement that Jl is not so good in SQ. If you compare them to anythign Rockford, JBL,Kicker, MTX, Pyramid, Sony. they have much better SQ.

Squirt I don't think the w6 is a shallow mount sub. It doesn't have a very big moutning depth but still that enclusre size chewy is using will not be enough for a w6 to perform in.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:37 PM
aka_chewy
All Star

Ben-

Thanks for the info. That will help me out in the future. I think I'm going to put the 8" in and see how that does. It will give me a chance to update the box so it fits a little better anyways.

As far as distorting goes, I know when I first hooked it up, it was sounding very distorted and it kind of sound like when a box is ported and it's pushing out a lot of air. I had this 10 in my old truck and the box was much bigger and it sounded pretty good. The amp never changedsettings from that box and I had to do a lot of adjusting to get it to sound "ok."

It's all starting to make a little bit of sense now.

Thanks again

Old 07-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Ben D.
Champion

like I said I'm not so good on what happens to sub performance if your enclosure is sealed and is smaller or bigger than needed for that sub. I know what happens with ported which is usually you get overexcursion when the box is too small or port is too small or large. which will damage sub and cause distortion. but yea your enclosure size is your issue. It needs more air man lol.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:50 PM
speakle
All Star

Do some research on the sub you want to install, they always have their volume requirements listed (check their website if you dont have the manual). Calculate the volume of the current box (or post the measurements and I will do it) and see what you ahve to work with and go from there. A lot of 10's will work fine in .5 cuft but you have to take into account the amount of airspace that sub occupies. I have a pretty good understanding of box building (sealed mostly), let me know if you need help planning.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:36 AM
aka_chewy
All Star

So this past weekend I put the 8" in place of the 10", what a difference that makes. The instructions gave the recommended dimensions, while the box isn't quite as big as they recommend, it still works pretty good. I've now got the sound I was looking for. Didn't want to rattle the car next to me, just wanted a little fuller sound.

Anyone looking to do this, I recommend an 8" sub.

Quick Reply: First part of my weekend projects