Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2003 Diesel 4x4 3500 Dually

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 02:50 PM
RickBlane
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Diesel 4x4 3500 Dually

I am about to join your family.

I am looking at and probably buying a 2003 Diesel, 4x4, 3500 Dually, manual 5 speed, AC, 5th wheel hitch, ranch hand bumpers, spray in bed liner, 207k miles - this week and need some advice from the group. This was formerly a Rodeo competitors show truck hence the miles.

What should I look out for?

I have heard of a diagnostic you can do by turning the key on 3 times? What does that tell you and where do you see the output?

Should I have any tests run on it?

What should I be asking here that I am not experienced enough to know to ask yet?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am new to diesels and have a lot to learn.

Thanks

Old 07-15-2007, 03:02 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Default RE: 2003 Diesel 4x4 3500 Dually

First thing I would do is have a oil analyst done. That will tell you what's going on internally with the engine. If possible, do it before you buy it.
This is where to send a sample....http://www.blackstone-labs.com/index.html

Make sure there's no bearing wear or high consentration of metals in the oil. Their analyst will tell you all about that in detail.

The only check you can do with the key is a gauge diagnostic. You can also chek to see what codes are stored if any. For the gauge check, hold down the trip button and turn on the truck ( don't crank it ). It will automatically goes through the check.

To check for codes, turn the key over three times without turning the truck on, watch for codes to be displayed in the odometer.

Another thing you can do is take it to the dealer and have them run a diagnostic through the ECM. They can tell you a lot about what's going on with your engine.

Change the oil and trans fluids along with all the trucks filters...i.e, air, oil, fuel

Old 07-15-2007, 05:09 PM
RickBlane

Thanks. Good info.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Old 07-15-2007, 08:55 PM
jakebrake
Champion

The 5speeds were known to loose 5th gear if you towed in 5th, this was supposedly fixed in the later models so you should be ok, take a look at the oil in it for metal (if possible pull the driverside pto cover plate (magnets are stuck to the inside of it).

Quick Reply: 2003 Diesel 4x4 3500 Dually