Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Trip to Maine (AXLE)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 05:28 PM
NCcummins
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trip to Maine (AXLE)

Last weekI drove back from my Dads in Maine to NC. I am leaving tomarrow morning again for Maine. Right when my 2002 cummins rolled over 100,000 right around the diff. gear cover on each side going towards the smaller part of the axle towards the wheel and tire it looks to be a slow leak of diff fluid. Any ideas what caused this and if it is a big enough deal not to be able to drive to Maine. The dodge dealer said dont worry about it untill it makes noise, but kind of hard not too.

any ideas?

Old 07-18-2007, 07:01 PM
jakebrake
Champion
Default RE: Trip to Maine (AXLE)

Where the carrier housing meets the axle tubes?

Old 07-18-2007, 09:05 PM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

yes that is exactly what it is..

Old 07-18-2007, 09:09 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Is it dripping on the ground or just looking a little damp? The way I see it, if it doesn't hit the ground it isn't a leak worth fixing.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:24 PM
finny
All Star

i'd keep a close eye on it

Old 07-19-2007, 04:16 AM
kg1687
Veteran

If it's just barely leaking i don't think i'd worry about it too bad. I know mine leaked like a dirty dog with water in it. You don't have water in it do you? Just keep an eye on it. If it's visibly leaking on the ground. also it would be alright to go to a ways if you just kept an eye on it and the fluid level. If it's dripping once every couple of minutes cold then i'd worry about it. But like once or twice a day after driving it and such. then you shouldn't have to worry about a substantial amount being lost. BTW i apparently didn't read the directions on rtv sealant because now i have to rip my rear cover off again. re do the sealant. put it back on and re seal it. Why does practice make perfect? why can't i be a one time wonder. also another funny sidenote. My front used to leak because who ever owned the truck before me hit something with it and bent the front cover. we bent it back with careful hammering and rtv sealant. well now i didn't rtv seal it this time because i've been removing it flushing it, replacing. Now it doesn't leak! wow. but now the back leaks. Crazy coinky dink! Good luck. Hope everything works out good.

Quick Reply: Trip to Maine (AXLE)