Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

fuel filters? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 10:11 PM
quah 01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel filters? HELP

i heard that when you change your fuel filter you can fill the new one up with automatic tranny fluid and it would help clean your injectors is this true? what do yall think? thanks for all the help guys i really appreciate it

Old 07-23-2007, 10:15 PM
NCcummins
Record Breaker
Default RE: fuel filters? HELP

I was down at the shop a week ago and was changing mine and a man about 85 came by to get come tires and said to try putting the tranny fluid in. I did it and it just smokes a little more for not a long time at all and he said the same thing about lubricating and cleaning. It worked out fine for me. Its your personal choice to try it or not.

i believe it is fairly safe as I am still running strong..

Old 07-23-2007, 10:15 PM
jakebrake
Champion

You can fill it up with atf, but as for cleaning injectors, I dont know. I know several people who do it with no problems but I really don't see the point. If your worried about your injectors, just dump some powerservice or stanadyne into the tank.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

atf has detergents that may break down the old seals in older trucks....if ya do it, do not use atf +4..or any other synthetic...

Old 07-24-2007, 08:15 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ATF is hard on the injectors. . .older trucks can get away with it, but the newer trucks(94 and up) run a chance of damageing the injectors due to the detergents. if you have a VP44 equiped truck it is even harder on the pump.

I wouldnt do it.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:17 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

If you read the label on a can of Sea Foam Motor Tune Up it says you can fill a diesel fuel filter with it. I've used Sea Foam before in gas engines, either pouring it in the carburetor or in the brake booster vacuum line for a fuel injected car. When you pour it in a carburetor (with your buddy stepping on the gas pedal) it makes more smoke than Drew's Ram with the TST on "intersection shutdown" mode!

Old 07-24-2007, 10:59 AM
DBLR
Record Breaker

My self I would not use SeaFoam straight in my fuel filter being it contains a large amount of Alcohol in it and it’s not at all good for your injectors. I know it said on the can you can do it but I sure will not use it at all in my engine and run the chance of screwing up an injector or two. BTW in my owners manual it had a few words saying not to use any thing that contains alcohol in the fuel and I was also was taught that when I learned to drive OTR many years ago. The only time I would use some thing that has Alcohol in it, like PS 911 is if I had gelled fuel.

Quick Reply: fuel filters? HELP