Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

gooseneck flat bed trailer?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 06:49 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gooseneck flat bed trailer?!?!?!

i have been thinking about looking into this set up. i only use my truck for maily a commuter and my job (residental concrete) gives me 5 (BORING & COLD) months off in the winter. i was thinking about jumping into car transporting and buying a 35' +/- flat bed gooseneck trailer so i can transport up to 2 vehicles at at time. i have the truck to pull it, just minus the dualy's so why not right?!?! i figured the first place i could possibly gather information is here. anyone have experience in this feild that could give me advice or information? if i did buy a trailer i dont even know what kind of customer's i would b looking for, and if it is even worth the money to do on the side? its just a thought so any reply would be sweet!

Old 07-24-2007, 07:14 PM
NCcummins
Record Breaker
Default RE: gooseneck flat bed trailer?!?!?!

my buddy hauls during the winter and he just put an add in the local newspaper for vehical hauling cross country and local and he gets everything from huge farm tractors to many little ralley such cars..

go for it...sounds like fun and isnt much to invest to maybe make something back in the long run...

Old 07-24-2007, 07:53 PM
mplebra
Rookie

I'm not sure about your area, but quite a few people here in the South make good money hauling variousitems around.There is not a big demand here for auto hauling, but you may want to consider an enclosed car hauler for a few reasons. First, you can offerfirst class auto hauling out of the elements in the winter, and second,you can use it to make goodmoney in commercial and residential moving. Your investment will be a little more with an enclosed, but you open yourself up to more haulingoptions.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:04 PM
sabersix

I found this link today. It may or may not apply to you with only a two car hauler...

Hauling for hire

Old 07-24-2007, 08:21 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

My neighbor does that fora living. He hauls for dealers, the govt., famous people, all of em. He hauls the stock vehicales to mexico to get armored then back again. He lives here in south texas, and goes all over the united states. He hauled the purple car that was used in the godfather two. He hauls so much his truck was struck by lighting. The only problem is he drives a ford powerstroke.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:24 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

You can also check with camper, boat and trailer companies. Many of them need people to haul there products to the dealers.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:38 PM
07 Ram TRX4
Captain

I'm sorry... I am a current Truck driver... But i feel i have to argue with some of those guidlines... I also think that anysite that says send corrections to so and so... Needs to shut down.... I just feel if they give that info they just made that stuff up... Want the real deal? goto http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/If what your lookin for is'nt there.... goto your state own website and look... But here are my problems with the info he gave you...
USDOT #'s... Any vehicle with a GVWR over 10,000
Drug Testing for any driver regardless of class.. May be differerent for a Owner Operater..
On the Hours of Service.... a Local Driver is one who does not travel more then 100 Air Miles does not need to fill out a detailed log...
Inspections are to be done prior to driving...

Old 07-24-2007, 11:30 PM
savage.basher

I wonder what my/your car insurance company would say if you told them you were gonna start hauling other peoples cars? You think that you need some kind of special insurance?

Old 07-25-2007, 12:10 AM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: savage.basher

I wonder what my/your car insurance company would say if you told them you were gonna start hauling other peoples cars? You think that you need some kind of special insurance?
I know my neighbor has some different/extra insurance. It paid for both 75 thousand dollar armored suburbans that were totaled once struck by lightining.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:05 AM
Mayfair
Legend

5 months off and you wanna WORK ?!?!?

If you have the cash, why not just travel? Screw the hauling !!

J/K - sounds like a cool idea nick

Quick Reply: gooseneck flat bed trailer?!?!?!