Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Stalled and Wont restart

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 11:46 AM
01Dually
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalled and Wont restart

We have a 2001 Dodge Ram Dually 3500 5.9L Diesel. This past weekend we went away for vacation. We parked the truck and then about 10 minutes later we were asked to move it. We started it up and went to move, it puked a little and just stalled out. It took a few tries, but it did re-start. Then it did the same thing the next day. We replaced the filter, primed it, new 0-ring...blah blah blah. Truck sat overnight and in the morning we were preparing to leave and it died on us again before we could get moving. It did this 6 or 7 times, it finally started and blew a ton of white and blue smoke!! A friend of ours kept bleeding the air out of it. He said it is sucking air somewhere. Finally got it started and got it home, but then it died completely as we were taking a golf cart back. We had to be towed home. It will not re-start this time. Not even sure where to start with it. Some people are telling us it is the injectors, a crack or a bad fitting in the fuel lines, a lift pump, an injector pump, or just bad fuel. If anyone can give me some guidance, that would be great. Just want to know where to start - ALSO......there is fuel getting to the filter under the hood you can hear it cycle when you turn the key and we have checked to make sure that fuel is gettin in there and it is.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:33 PM
Silverline
Veteran
Default RE: Stalled and Wont restart

When it restarted were you able to drive it around at all or just let it sit and run?? I would start by checking the fuel lines. It sounds like you're getting air somewhere through a cracked hose or loose fitting. I know it some of the '90s CTDs they used a soft rubber line between the engine and the firewall to reduce the chance of the line cracking as the engine moved. The soft line cracks with age and ends up acting like a vacuum pulling air into the fuel line as the engine runs. You could also try pulling the fuel out of the tank and replacing it. Basically its going to be a trial and error deal until you get it figured out.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:07 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Check your fuel pressure. It sounds like your lift pump could have died. White smoke usually means that engine is starved for fuel. You could have also killed your VP44 injector pump by trying to restart it over and over again without the correct amount of fuel to the VP44.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:12 PM
finny
All Star

yah i think cowboybob is right sounds like your lift pump has died on you. but i am not an expert wait for drew or jake or steve to come.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:27 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get ready for about a $2000+ repair bill. . .the lift pump died and your VP44 injector pump is shot.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:52 PM
Mayfair
Legend

HOLY CRAP Drew I've never seen this side of you before !!!

Old 07-31-2007, 04:56 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde

Old 07-31-2007, 05:40 PM
Silverline
Veteran

ouch...I think that's about all that needs to be said

Old 07-31-2007, 05:53 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

www.mwfi.com

Old 07-31-2007, 07:15 PM
jakebrake
Champion

Cycle the ignition on and off 3x then turn it to on. The odometer will start reading faults. Right them down and post back the results.

Quick Reply: Stalled and Wont restart