Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Valve adjustment DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 12:09 AM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Valve adjustment DIY

AWESOME job Dave !!!!

Jake, what are you talking about with these "bridges"?

Old 08-01-2007, 12:15 AM
jakebrake
Champion

on the 24v's they use what is called a valve bridge. See how there are only 2 rocker arms to each cylinder, the valvebridge sits on top of both valves and the rocker presses down in the middle openeing both valves. Without it you'd have to have 4 rockers per cylinder.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:08 AM
kg1687
Veteran

thanks dave. Now i don't have to worry about trying to post the pictures and DIY and making it look sloppy and such.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:57 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

Thanks for the great DIY.

By the way, nice Snap-On torque wrench. I may have to get me one of those, as my old Craftsman torque wrench just crapped out after about 15 years of use. I couldn't afford Snap-On 15 years ago!

Old 08-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Super Dave
Veteran

ORIGINAL: hildenja

By the way, nice Snap-On torque wrench. I may have to get me one of those, as my old Craftsman torque wrench just crapped out after about 15 years of use. I couldn't afford Snap-On 15 years ago!
Thanks. As far as torque wrenches go, Snap On are probably the best, IMO. They make fancier ones, but they are more prone to damage.
That is my baby one. I have its big brother in a 1/2" drive, but I still need to get a 3/8" drive wrench to fill the gap between the two.
Luckily a friend of mine works in the prescision measurements lab on base and he calibrates them for me every once in a while. As long as you don't drop them or bang them around and always store them at their lowest setting, they really don't need calibration. They will stay calibrated for years.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Super Dave

ORIGINAL: hildenja

Thanks. As far as torque wrenches go, Snap On are probably the best, IMO. They make fancier ones, but they are more prone to damage.
That is my baby one. I have its big brother in a 1/2" drive, but I still need to get a 3/8" drive wrench to fill the gap between the two.
Luckily a friend of mine works in the prescision measurements lab on base and he calibrates them for me every once in a while. As long as you don't drop them or bang them around and always store them at their lowest setting, they really don't need calibration. They will stay calibrated for years.
I work in a lab just like your friend does. . .snap-on and CDI are the ones that we have the fewest problems out of, and are also the easiest to adjust if they are out. you also have to remember to set them back to their lowest setting or you'll damage the spring.

it's always fun doing the 1000ft-lb wrenches, we even have the ability to check up to 2500ft-lb

Old 08-01-2007, 03:42 PM
BLEWMONEY
Rookie

how often are you guys adjusting the valves? i have an 06 3500 andi dont see valve adjustment in the schedule before 135,000 miles

Old 08-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

80-100K. . . .but you can do it when you start hearing alot of valve rattle.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Methos
Veteran

Awesome write up. I'm planning on doing this probably at my next scheduled service and I was on the fence about doing it or having it done. This makes it look pretty simple, I think I'll give it a go.

One question though, is the cover gasket reusable (pending of course that it's not damaged in any way) or should it be replaced?

Old 08-01-2007, 07:20 PM
jakebrake
Champion

Re-usable gasket, It's pretty durable, as long as you don't use a screw driver to pry the valve cover up.

Quick Reply: Valve adjustment DIY