Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

I might be convinced to go Ford

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 06:42 PM
mopar98
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I might be convinced to go Ford

All I can say is ,
that I've been to a lot of truck pulls and sled pulls.
The top 2 are the Cummins and the Duramax.
The power-stroke isdesign platform that Ford and international can't build on anymore.
Why do ya think they've made so many changes? Why do you think everybody is still goin after the 7.3?
The cummins is a tried and true engine and is a much more simple design.
They've made changes too , but it's still basically the same engine.
The Duramax is the new kid on the block. It has yet to be proven as sturdy and long lasting as the Cummins.
Heck the Duramax is already on it's 4th change and they come out back in 00 or 01.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject
As for power and torque....I've seen Cummins motors pushing 500hp/1000ftlbs of torque....with very little in the way of substantial mods...
Our Ram section moderator, Drew, is running this in his Ram - 392hp 716tq on the stock clutch

One last thing, the Cummins motor is an inline 6 cylinder motor. Both the Duramax and Powerstrokes are V8/V10 motors...and the Cummins motor has been the same design for decades...
I've still got stock internals as well. . only mod for power is a box, upgrade the clutch and I could probably push close to 425 before I need to upgrade the turbo. Triton is pushing alot more than me. . .however he just had his engine rebuilt after an issue of his own making

anyway, both the duramax and the power stroke are v8 designs. both ford and chevy have always used v8 designs. for a 6.0 ford to push anything close to 400 you have to have new injectors, pistons, rods, crank, heads, cam. . .basicaly a whole engine rebuild. the Duramax 6.6L can push around 500-550 on stock internals, however at that power level the thing will overheat QUICK, especialy the LLY's. Ive personaly seen a 5.9L push over 800hp with only an upgraded turbo, injector pump and injectors. the bottom end is pretty much good for well past 1200hp.

now I'm not going to say we dont have our share of issues. the stock lift pump leaves alot to be desired, injector issues here and there, and the new 6.7L's haveing an issue with the exhaust that DC quickly fixed all under warranty.

go to the chevy and ford forums and read through the problems they have, then hit up diesel garage, TDR, Cummins forum, DTR, and Diesel Ram and read through the issues the cummins has. . .

the 5.9L was developed back when Cummins first started making diesel engines. infact when Dodge went to Cummins for s diesel engine to keep up with ford and chevy Cummins suggested the 4BT, an 80-100hp 4 banger engine. however Dodge was sold on the 6BT, however even at only 160hp, the engine was bending the frame and snapping driveshafts with no power modifications. . .this was back in 87-88, the engine virtualy stayed the same all the way untill this year, when due to emissions regulations, Cummins thinking along the lines of longevity, increased the displacement to 6.7L

Old 08-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Twoforme2
Veteran

First off, you should seriously check your attitude and your disrespect at the door. He didnt come on here bragging, talking trash, or even disrespecting. He asked some legitimate questions and was being really cool about it. This type of crap is what's wrong with most forums in the first place, and it will not be tolerated. My suggestion to you is that you offer an apology.
I guess I read it all wrong, it sure seemed to me to be a fishing expedition to get people to convince him that the Dodge is better than his buddies Ford.
SO it was all kinda done in jest and I guess I screwed up my not putting smilies all over the post. That is a bad thing about forums sometimes sarcasm is not well conveyed by the written word.
I guess I apologize for the sense of humor, and apparently I need to add a disclaimer as my signature.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:22 PM
07 Ram TRX4
Captain

ORIGINAL: Twoforme2

I guess I apologize for the sense of humor, and apparently I need to add a disclaimer as my signature.
"I Guess"???? Seems like a ingenuine approach.....

Old 08-04-2007, 08:55 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

53 block, stock lift pump & VP44, Trac bar, Ball joints, cracking dash...what else did I forget to post??? These are all typical Dodge problems. Now that I've bashed Dodge, I still wouldn't have a 6.0 Ford or Duramax. [sm=forgetit.gif]

Old 08-04-2007, 09:01 PM
07 Ram TRX4
Captain

Either way.... Regardless of which brand.... You're gonna have problems.....each has it's own... and always will.....

Old 08-04-2007, 09:03 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 07 Ram TRX4

Either way.... Regardless of which brand.... You're gonna have problems.....each has it's own... and always will.....
some just have more known issues than others.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:13 PM
speakle
All Star

Wow, whata great sense of humor.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:27 PM
FroneDaddy
Captain

diarreah, lower back pain, bad credit,
I have to say, the apology itself probably isn't accepted by most (including myself), but this part of the disclaimer did get a laugh out of me

Old 08-04-2007, 09:56 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

First off, you should seriously check your attitude and your disrespect at the door. He didnt come on here bragging, talking trash, or even disrespecting. He asked some legitimate questions and was being really cool about it. This type of crap is what's wrong with most forums in the first place, and it will not be tolerated. My suggestion to you is that you offer an apology.
I guess I read it all wrong, it sure seemed to me to be a fishing expedition to get people to convince him that the Dodge is better than his buddies Ford.
SO it was all kinda done in jest and I guess I screwed up my not putting smilies all over the post. That is a bad thing about forums sometimes sarcasm is not well conveyed by the written word.
Nice, I am over it. not everyone willl agree with everything everyone has to say. you are right sometimes humor can not be heard with typing, but such is life...

Quick Reply: I might be convinced to go Ford