Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Coolant temp

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Calcan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant temp

Hi,
New to this forum as I am a first time diesel owner. I have a question. I bought my truck in Alaska where I lived. I shipped my truck to Washington where I currently live. While living in Alaska, I noticed that my coolant temp ran right about 195 degrees, on an average Alaskan day. (50 degrees). Since I now live in Washington and the average temp in summer can be 85 or so, I'm seeing 200 degrees. I recently bought a 5th wheel, and I'm afraid I'm going to overheat. Are these temps I'm seeing typical, or could it be that maybe they installed a hotter thermostat for Alaska? Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:06 PM
07 Ram TRX4
Captain
Default RE: Coolant temp

You should be fine... Atleast you have numbers on your thermostat... All i got is a L and little half-assed bar and a H.... I know i work my work truck at about 210 or a little above...depending on the weather.... But keep an eye on it while towing..

Old 08-05-2007, 11:23 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

My coolant temp stays at 200. only today when off roading and messing around in 2wd did I notice it went up to about 205-210. I then let it idle for a couple minutes and it was fine. Your system sounds healthy, I would be concerned with egt's if towing. Do you have a guage?

Old 08-05-2007, 11:29 PM
Calcan

I don't. I have been reading quite a few of these posts and some of the things mentioned are way over my head. EGT's being one of them. Is it something I could install? I'm mechanically inclined, I just don't know diesels.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:43 PM
07 Ram TRX4
Captain

With these guys helpin... everything's easy to do....

Old 08-06-2007, 07:10 PM
jakebrake
Champion

200 sounds about right for the 06's. You can always put a colder t stat in though. Mine runs at 195 here western wa.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:39 PM
SpLaT
Captain

Check with Dieselmanor.com or Genos garage for gauge packages!
I ordered3 gauge packagefrom Diesel manor, boost, EGT and tranny temp.Great install instructions including pictures, also everything needed to complete install included with package. I also purchased the "inline tranny pyro" just a matter of replacing line from tranny pan to cooler with theirs ( you lose about a pint of fluid in the exchange,have a drain pan ready). Other wise very easy install took me about 2hrs.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:06 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

My temp guage under normal conditions will run from 2 needle widths below 200 to 2 widths above. I towed my 8500 lb camper home from the lake (40 miles) yesterday over long rolling hills, the outside temp was 99 degrees and the A/C was on max. All that netted 2 needle widths above 200. Don't sweat it. Aslong as your truck remains stock there is no need for the guages. EGT = Exhaust Gas Temp. BTW I can make my temp guage rise above 200 for a short time by hard acceleration, let off and cruise and it drops right back around 200 +/-. Drive and be happy.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:22 PM
Cumminnotstrokin
Professional

Nick, mine runs the same however I had just made a trip to Idaho when I pulled over to get fuel I had some coolant over flowing it was coming from the hose that goes from the radiator to the reservoir on the radiator side. When I got to my dads I let it cool then cut about an inch off of the hose and reattached it seems to be fine now

Old 08-07-2007, 08:34 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Yup DC didn't think we needed a clamp there. [:@]

Quick Reply: Coolant temp