Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

retarded question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 03:47 AM
kg1687
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: retarded question

Interesting what bout a slant engine such as dodges slant 6? S-6 ???

Old 08-07-2007, 04:21 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: kg1687

Interesting what bout a slant engine such as dodges slant 6? S-6 ???
I-6

Triva point the slant 6 was originaly designed as a conventional ohv 6 to replace the flathead L-6 and changed to the slant configuration to get a lower hood line for the Valent (sp) that came out the same year 1960.
The changes were intake manifold, exhaust manifold, valve cover, oil pan and oil pickup tube.
Why do you think the distributaor ended up on the bottom where it was hard to get to.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:31 AM
kg1687
Veteran

Crazy. Just curious because I owned a Plymouth Volare which had a slant 6. It was cool I think it equated out to a 225 or 226 or something like that. It had tons of low end torque (not close to our trucks but alot for the car and being old such and such). I was going to keep it as a project car but Times got tough. I was about to get my drivers license and something broke in it. I'm guessing the timing chain. Was driving it one day (yes before I got my license) and got up on it. Heard a click. Then nothing. Wasn't sure if it was something really serious. But engine turned over. Just seemed like it had no compression. So I got rid of it. Still see em from time to time. Wish I would have kept it and fixed it and drove it today.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

Crazy. Just curious because I owned a Plymouth Volare which had a slant 6. It was cool I think it equated out to a 225 or 226 or something like that. It had tons of low end torque (not close to our trucks but alot for the car and being old such and such). I was going to keep it as a project car but Times got tough. I was about to get my drivers license and something broke in it. I'm guessing the timing chain. Was driving it one day (yes before I got my license) and got up on it. Heard a click. Then nothing. Wasn't sure if it was something really serious. But engine turned over. Just seemed like it had no compression. So I got rid of it. Still see em from time to time. Wish I would have kept it and fixed it and drove it today.
Those slant 6s would make you think you had a v8 under the hood on bottom end.
The reason was the long tube intake manifold (the long runners gave you a ram air effect)
Some where in one of my warehouses I should still have a 3 ace manifold for one of them provided someone hasen't stole it.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Captain Squalus

Those slant 6s would make you think you had a v8 under the hood on bottom end.
The reason was the long tube intake manifold (the long runners gave you a ram air effect)
Some where in one of my warehouses I should still have a 3 ace manifold for one of them provided someone hasen't stole it.

At the shop I work at we have a Delorean Tug with a Chrystler slant 6 under the hood. . .that bad boy will push a 40,000lb hemtt at just a bit over idle. she'll also pull a wheelie from a dead stop. not bad for a vehicle that tips the scales at nearly 7000lbs.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:10 PM
savage.basher

so a flat head (L type) do not have overhead valves, correct? Didn't ford use like a L6 300ci in their trucks a while back?

Old 08-08-2007, 02:25 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: savage.basher

so a flat head (L type) do not have overhead valves, correct? Didn't ford use like a L6 300ci in their trucks a while back?
The 300 cuin was an I-6 (a stroker version of the 240cuin)
the last flathead 6 for autos and pickups from ford was 1951 226cuin.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:56 AM
kg1687
Veteran

The ford 300 I-6 was a good engine too.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:15 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

The ford 300 I-6 was a good engine too.
As long as you didn't mind listening to the mains rattling untill oil pressure came up every time you started it, and didn't mind feeding that gas hugery SOB.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:20 AM
kg1687
Veteran

Some got like 20. All depended on how they were set up. But they were reliable like a son of a gun and has decent low end torque. I've seem em do some crazy ****. Alotta of the old farm trucks had em. Around here. I mean it was nothign like a diesel orv8 especially newerv8's and diesels. But for a 6 banger. I meanit earned some credit from me. But yeah if they were beat up. They did get lousy mileage. Doesn't everything especially gassers? It was better than my 360 ford engine. I feel that's a horrible engine right there. I like the dodge 360. most chevy's and most of the fords except the 351's... all of em..... don't forget the chevy v6's. I've had lousy luck with them. Sorry. Didn't mean to go off subject.

Quick Reply: retarded question