Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Getting A chip

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 05:22 AM
kg1687
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting A chip

Ok. I know I said I didn't want to get a chip until everything else was done. But. I'd like power/black smoke asp and it looks like chipping is going to be the easiest way. I've done alotta research. And I think I'm going to go with the TST box since it offers alot of out put and it should keep up with me as I continually modify the engine. Who makes the best turbo's for these? I'm thinking of running either a Super B turbo from BD power not sure on single or twin yet but I'm pretty sure I'll go Single due to the fact of money to buy the turbo. Or a Phat shaft 66 or 64. Any comments suggestions? Different brand? Type? I wouldn't consider twin but the tst says for it's box it'd probably be the best choice. i guess one of the better people to ask would be drew. But anyways. If anyone has any knowledge or suggestions let me know please thanks.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:25 AM
kg1687
Veteran
Default RE: Getting A chip

"Turbo for these" as in cummins diesel. Not the chip. But if there's a good combo let me know. I'm probably going to go in this order. Also I'm going to buy a Fass Lift Pump system. Considering Bosch Injector pump if it's better than my stock but I don't think it is. I think it's the same. Then CAI and BD Intercooler. TST Box. Injectors. Probably stage 2. Fill in the blanks afterwords. Should have pretty high power output by then. But I'd probably be considering a turbo at this point. If my stocker hasn't given up yet.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

You get that deep into the motor you might be wanting a new clutch at some point too, or just wait till you anhilate that one....

Old 08-07-2007, 09:24 AM
redneckracer212
Rookie

Man if you start doing all that stuff to your truck your gunna need a beefed up tranny to get all that power to the ground. Otherwise you'll just be wasting money on power that doesn't get to the wheels. I didn't think that this was the case until my buddy got the stage 5 full billet tranny in his truck and wow what a difference it made we have the same truck, but his is lifted up on 38's, he has diablo power puck tuned 90hpand i have hypertech power programmer III 66hp and his truck will smoke mine no prob due to the fact that he has the better tranny.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob. . .as your truck stands, if you put that TST on 4/3 on the standard programming, no timeing and no rail pressure, you would be AMAZED at how much more power you have. . .bump to 5/3 and that stock clutch will be hating life. quite a few times I thought I was about to blow mine apart.

dont worry about the turbo just yet, however you may want to look into an upgraded clutch before anything else.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:08 AM
kg1687
Veteran

Thanks Drew. redneck racer I can't really beef my tranny up I'm running a stick. But i am going to replace my clutch someday. I just liked the tst mainly due to the fact that I can change between horsepower and torque. Seemed very simple to install and also offered tons more than anyother chip. I felt it would be the best buy for economy (sure i'm not going to see it until down the road when i'm like ok i'm used to the power until next mod) and power and future upgrades. Plus compared to the others from where I was looking at it it was like in the 6-800 dollar range. As for the clutch...... Well I am going to wait. Until. It is no more. And when it is no more. I'll buy a nice aftermarket one. I might bury that one. In the trash... But thanks again drew.

Quick Reply: Getting A chip