Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fuel Filter and other issuse

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:48 PM
code
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filter and other issuse

I just changed my fuel filter and did not drain the fuel canister, will this effect anything on the truck. 01cummins 66,500
I also just replaced the u-joints and carrier bearing on the driveshaft and still there is vibration, haven't rotated my tires in a while but thought i'd ask if anyone might know what this could be. My fuel gage has quit working (how do i know! cause i ran out of gas!does anybody know of a quick fix? My AC has a leak somewhere and i can't find it, yes, i put dye in it and looked for weeks. any one have any ideas.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:29 PM
jakebrake
Champion
Default RE: Fuel Filter and other issuse

Next time drain the fuel out of the canister. What you've done is allowed unfilter fuel to your injection pump. As far as vibration rotat your tires and see if the vibration moves from the rearend to the frontend. Also when you put the new carrier bearing on, did you get the front dline timed? (yokes are parallel to eachother). As far as a/c leaks look for any damp spots. The most common being the compressor shaft seal. Dodge fuel sending units are known to go out so I'm betting your gonna need a new sending unit.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:32 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

On your AC, mine did the same thing. It leaked and I put dye in it and could not find the leak. It turned out to be the condenser mounted in the dash (about the only place you wouldn't see the dye).

Fuel gauge, check your fuses and also check and make sure the sending unit is making contact with the wiring harness. It is located on top of the fuel tank. If you crawl up under the truck, there is enough room to actually see it on top of the tank. You can also trace the wire back and look for shorts. Other than that, you would have to pull the tank and check the sending unit with an ohm meter.

Check your ball joints and trac bar on the front end. That has been the source of a lot of front suspension problems for me.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:38 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

If you go to an A/C guy he should have a "sniffer" device. You run the a/c and this thing will detect the leak and beep. If the leak is in the dash it will let you know.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:22 PM
Watermelon
Captain

Boy do I feel FREGGIN stupid[:@]Ive been driving CTDs for 8 years and never have I drained my canister when I changed my fuel filter. Guess I better start. The diesel gods must be watchin over my stupidity. Better late than never

Old 08-07-2007, 09:35 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Your supposed to drain that thing and check for water like monthly or something.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Watermelon
Captain

Nag....Nag....Nag. Go ahead BEAT me down , I can take it Nick!!!

Old 08-07-2007, 11:01 PM
code

thnks guys for the info.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:15 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: NickBeek

Your supposed to drain that thing and check for water like monthly or something.
I only check mine for water when I change the filter

he he he[8D]

Old 08-08-2007, 12:18 AM
jakebrake
Champion

Thats what the sensor and idiot light is for. I have never had water problems, everytime I've changed mine there was no dropplets of water. We'll see with the extended change interval of the fass seperator if there is any in it.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter and other issuse