Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Oil Drip?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 04:42 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Drip?

No problem

As far as oil changes go, don't be scared to do it yourself. Honestly, it really isn't hard to do at all. I had my oil changed ONE TIME at pep Boys after comming home from my trip to Key West. I was just too damn tired and I figured " how could they screw it up"? Well ... they wound up stripping the threads on the oil pan. To make a LOOOOOONG story short, I got a new oil pan installed at a Dodge dealer and to Pep Boy's credit they picked up the tab ( over 800 smacks ). Props to them !!

I now have a flip lever installed where my drain plug once was, and I remove my oil filter from above with a bag under it to catch any oil that may spill. I can do the whole job very easily and with no mes at all. Once you get a routine down, you too can do it !!

Old 08-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Mayfair
Legend

You never saw that before triton? I did that a while ago, I thnk when I installed my FASS. It must have been when you had a truck to tinker with and you were too busy to hang out here.

Speaking of .... how's the progress on your truck?? ( thread jacking in progress ... )

Old 08-08-2007, 05:05 PM
triton
Record Breaker

nope, I never saw it. I was still around, just didn't post as much. Some may prefer it that way[sm=boink3.gif] :-)

The truck had a set back with the pistons. since the truck will see miles other than a 1/4, I've been advised to not go with the Arias pistons. I find this out after waiting a month for them to come in. So now, I have some Cummins pistons being shaved and sent out for coating.

Since I've waited this long, I'm probably going to wait and pick it up when the Diesel Extravaganza '07
is going on. I had planned to be there anyway and I figured if I compete and it breaks... Scheid can fix it. I am a little more optimistic than that but, Scheid knows I planned to compete so I'm hoping they'll be sure to build it right. They wouldn't want one of their builds to break at their event ! [sm=confused06.gif]

Old 08-08-2007, 05:10 PM
halfdozenbuzzin
Professional

(thread-jack all ya want.. if it contains anything useful the search option will weed it out.)

I would change my own oil.. but 3 gallons is A.a lot to catch.. B. a lot to clean up whenI invariably spill it. and C. a lot to dispose of.. For 55 bucks it's not a bad deal and makes life easier.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Mayfair
Legend

End at Terre Haute, IN US[/b]
Map

Total Est. Time: 11 hours, 30 minutes Total Est. Distance: 714.07 miles

Possible road trip !!

Is it worth it?

Old 08-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: halfdozenbuzzin

I would change my own oil.. but 3 gallons is A.a lot to catch.. B. a lot to clean up whenI invariably spill it. and C. a lot to dispose of.. For 55 bucks it's not a bad deal and makes life easier.
I posted this yesterday. Maybe you missed it. I've definately got A + B taken care of, and as far as C goes, any place that sells oil I believe has to by law take old oil in return.

Heres how I made life simple...

[IMG]local://upfiles/42139/3B98F1BB13A94629B3E8C35FAD2F786E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/42139/8DDD29D9C3E6433F91948C3D8C78E621.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/42139/EA0E7479FC1F481C99A734A8E176FB2C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-08-2007, 05:20 PM
triton
Record Breaker

that's a long trip for you but if you're able, I'd say it's worth it. It's the biggest pulling event in the country and all the everyday pros will be there. It's a 7.5hr trip for me. I think will be in the wifes ride.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:29 PM
halfdozenbuzzin
Professional

What type of pan do you use? Does it seal well for the ride to the disposal site? my 4x2 is a bit lower to the ground.. so I'd need a pan that's shallow..I like the easy drain valve and its cheap..I thinkI would get the one without the hose extension to keep it from hanging down.. there's enough room to get to the filter from the top? and catch the oil in a plastic sack?....you've just about convinced me..........just about...

Old 08-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Mayfair
Legend

One at a time .... LOL !!

I have a stock oil pan, however I have a 4wd Ram. I understand your fears with it hanging too low on a 2wd. Even though I think you'd be fine, for piece of mind perhaps go with either one without the nipple, or the EZ drain plug. All can be found at Geno's

Check out this link ...

http://www.genosgarage.com/products.asp?dept=24

Now then, onto the filter ...

I have a K&N air filter. When doing my oil changes, I also clean and re-oil my air filter. Since I'm removing myair filter, the oil filter is right below it. Now that the air filter is out of the way, the oil filter is a snap to get to, it's right there. Some guy's remove it from below the truck, i find iteasier to remove from above with a bag wrapped around it.

Check out the DIY thread at the top for some more tips. You'll be amazed at what's up there !!

Old 08-08-2007, 06:11 PM
07 Ram TRX4
Captain

I need to get one of those easy drains plugs... for my truck and the wifes van...

Quick Reply: Oil Drip?