Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Viberation??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 11:00 PM
cj7 bob
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viberation??

2003 2500 4X4 CTD, Leveling Kit, NO Chips or Mods. I can feel a vibration when starting off of a dead stop, feels like the tranny or maybe rearend,almost everytime if on an incline or pulling a trailer. I was told today at a local shop he has had several with bad u-joints that dodge replaced on warranty. I crawled under the truck but really couldn't feel any slack. Anyone else had this problem?

Old 08-15-2007, 11:10 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Default RE: Viberation??

could be a carrier bearing going bad. The fact you say it happens more on inclines and with weight kinda leads in that direction IMO. That vibration is a very common thing with the newer trucks. Yours may be from wear because of the miles being a 03, but, there's many threads out there about the vibration. It's never been found to be a problem and has been attitubuted to the rear end being so light or the TQ not locking in right away. Mine has done it since I bought it and I don't give it any thought.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:39 AM
BLEWMONEY
Rookie

sounds like shudder on acceleration from a stop.....there is a tsb from dodge on this problem. the angles a driveshaft work at are neg and pos depending on wether the truck is loaded or not. you may have upset the happy medium of angles with a leveling kit. the tsb refers to angles and there are 8 different height brackets for the carrier bearing in the driveshaft to correct this. if you have a problem getting a copy of it let me know. ill send u one (BlewMoney@aol.com) the tsb number is 03-003-04

Old 08-16-2007, 10:41 PM
cj7 bob
Amateur

Thanks for the replies, I think you guys know what I am trying to describe. Shudder is probably the best way. Sorry I amslow with acronyms like IMO, TQ. Maybe a hint triton. Thanks again.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:33 AM
SpLaT
Captain

could very well be ball UV joints... been down that road up untill I installed the Kore system...

"acronyms" : IMO = in my opinion
IMHO= in my humble opinion
TQ = torque converter
SAC= smart a$$ Canadian
NNT= need new tranny
IAFU= injectors all F----- up

Old 09-12-2007, 07:04 PM
cj7 bob
Amateur

I think I figured it out, the other day it rained really hard and the streets were flooded, it seem to get worse. Decided I was going to pull the rear brake rotor/drums because it felt like drum brakes when you have a leaking axle seal. Sure enough the emergency brake shoes were all gummed up, cleaned them up good and it hasn't done it since.
I had a leaky axle seal about 16 months ago, had the Dodge Dealer fix it and apparently they didn't clean the shoes very well.
Thanks for all the input, Great site.

Quick Reply: Viberation??