Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Crazy Fuel Problems!!!!!!!! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 05:31 AM
bfluri
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy Fuel Problems!!!!!!!! HELP!

I just bought an 04 3500 CTD with 85,000 on it. The other day I was driving home and the engine died....it would run if I cranked it with the peddle to the floor, but if I left off it the engine would die. Figured it was fuel pump or filter. Went to Dodge dealer and asked them about it and they said it sounds like a lift pump. I buy the conversion to move the lift pump to the tank and install it, with relative ease. Try to start and no dice! Fuel pump not turning on at all!!!! Seems like there was an underlieing issue that I missed. We checked the pump for power and there was none. After chasing wires for most of the day we found that the power was not making it through the new relay that came with the new pump. The new harness piggy backs off the old lifter pump two pin connector and sends that power to the rear of the truck and into the fuel tank pump. We jumped the pump from the battery straight to the pump and bled the air from the system then started it up...ran like a dream! While still running, we unhooked the jumper and reinstalled the relay, truck still ran fine for two days after that. Tonight I was on my way home and the truck died again!!!! Same deal, went straight to the jumper and it fired right up!! When I got home and unhooked the jumper, the truck still ran!! Nothing was powering the pump at this point, the enigne was just sucking fuel I guess! The question I have is what the hell is going on here????? I think is may be a short in the wire from the lift pump connector. Anyone ever here of such an issue? Basically it seems like the pump has an intermitant power problem coming from the lift pump connector....where whould I look first?

Old 08-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Ben D.
Champion
Default RE: Crazy Fuel Problems!!!!!!!! HELP!

I'm not so good with what could be going on but I'm telling you know be careful when cranking on it and driving with a lift pump that is acting up. that could run the VP44 injection pump out of fuel and then it's done for. which is about a 2k dollar repair bill.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:40 PM
bfluri

Well thats just it, I dont have a lift pump anymore...The mod that I got from Dodge removed the lift pump and installed a new pump in the tank, as a sending unit.. Anyway, thank you for the heads up on the injectionpump!!!I am about to head out there and start running down wires...Fun fun fun

Old 08-19-2007, 01:33 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

The 04's don't have a VP44.

I had the same conversion kit done to my truck and the first pump I had installed blew fuses like crazy. The second one has worked fine ever since. If I have to replace it again, it will be with a walbro or fass.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Ben D.
Champion

oooooo, well same concept I would think no? run injection pump dry equals dead injection pump.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:19 AM
bfluri

Ok here is what happened. I went out on Sunday morning to fix this once and for all. After all, it has been going on for about 5 days now and really driving me nutz!! First thing I did was try to start the truck with teh relay unhooked, so I knew the pump was not running, truck fired right up...WTF??? Now I know I have been sucking fuel with the injection pump the whole time....oops! Now I begin testing all the wires that have to do with the fuel. Everything pinned out correctly so I am competely lost now. I was standing there, as my puppy decided it was a great idea to chew a hole in a cable that was laying on the ground, and the little light went off in my head. Why on earth would the new harness, that came with the new pump, be hooked to the (-) terminal of the B battery????? A relay needs some sort of constant voltage in order to work. At this poinit I have tried everything else, so I changed the lead to the (+) terminal and tried it out....Worked like a charm. Turns out, after jumping in the dumpster to retrieve the directions that came with the pump, the (+) symbol on the paper was sort of messed up and at first glance it looked like a (-) sign....Damn it!!!!

Old 08-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Glad to hear it all worked out for you, now give the puppy a new bone.

Quick Reply: Crazy Fuel Problems!!!!!!!! HELP!