Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 08:40 PM
bway4x4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty

Ok so i get a little postcard in the mail the other day saying "Your Warranty is about to expire!" blah blah. Which is true, the truck (04 2500 QC CTD) has 94.5k on it. So i called the place, and they're only asking for $150.00 downpayment and 18 payments of $75.00. Which according to them would give me a 5 year 100,000 mile power-train warranty. However, my claims can be unlimited but when they surpass $6,000, my warranty no longer covers anything. There would be a $100 deductible and any dodge dealer or ASE certified shop would HAVE to accept the warranty.

Does this seem to be worth it to any of you guys? So far the truck is running great, i see no signs of any problems (which i guess you usually dont). I was just curious to see if any of you have gotten this little post card, or anything similiar. I've heard from some people that they have had something similiar to it, and it ended up not paying for their bill when the time came. Thanks guys.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:11 PM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran
Default RE: Extended Warranty

ORIGINAL: bway4x4

Does this seem to be worth it to any of you guys? So far the truck is running great, i see no signs of any problems (which i guess you usually dont)
Now I know this may possibly open a can of worms cause I know lots of people buy warranties and think they are great and once in a blue moon they might possibly be so but I'm here to tell you now keep your money in your pocket and don't buy it. Extended warranties are a gimmick sales item used by dealers to pad their bottom line and they love selling them. If there was a chance they'd actually lose money selling ext warranties they wouldn't even offer them. Modern cars and trucks are so reliable it's just a total waste. Now just as sure as I said that somebody is gonna come post in here how an extended warranty saved them but for 99% of the people that buy them they've simply pissed their money away. And besides, total up what that is going to cost over time, can you not "self insure" any minor break down stuff and still come out a ton cheaper? I bet a dollar to a donut you can. Don't do it keep your money.....

Old 08-19-2007, 09:14 PM
bway4x4
Rookie

Pretty much exactly what i was thinking, Ofcourse while on the phone they throw up that "Your transfer case could go, Your engine could blow, What about that expensive tranny? etc. etc." Was just curious to how everyone else saw it, Thanks alot for your comments DiEseLjunKy.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:06 PM
trauts83
Rookie

i got that same little card in the mail the other day, for the second time...and my truck is an '06 with only 18k on the clock! haha, it's a scam.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:28 PM
savage.basher

Which is true, the truck (04 2500 QC CTD) has 94.5k on it. So i called the place, and they're only asking for $150.00 downpayment and 18 payments of $75.00. Which according to them would give me a 5 year 100,000 mile power-train warranty
If the warranty they are selling extends you out to 100,000 miles or 5 years it will be expired with only 5,500 more miles in your situation..... right?? If so it is definitely not worth it. When I bought my new truck I bought an exended warranty... it was a 7 year 100,000 mile bumper to bumper. Normally I belive that they are a total waste and agree with dieseljunky that dealers only sell them to make money, but it was only $961 so I thought that was worth it. I may never use it but I figured it may just save me once, big time, you never know.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:36 PM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got that same little card in the mail the other day, for the second time...and my truck is an '06 with only 18k on the clock! haha, it's a scam.
I got the same thing. I also noticed that it said nothing about being related to DC, there are alot of warranty scams out there

Old 08-20-2007, 07:57 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In general Extended Warranties are high profit items to the seller that usually don't pay off for the buyer....but

People who had extended warranties on Rams and had transmission problems with the 46/47/48 automatic transmissions came out ahead in the past. Same way with bad lift pumps and injection pumps on late 1990's Cummins Rams.

If someone had the 6.7 Cummins with all the new parts and emissions systems....you might flip a coin and decide what risk to take.

Try to buy an official Dodge extended warranty, as many of the aftermarket companies have gone bankrupt...some seem to actually plan on sell policies and then going out of business.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

I would consider an extended warranty, but only through Daimler Chrysler. Many of the companies that offer these warranties are shady, fly-by-night scamsters.

I wish I had bought the Chrysler extended warranty back in 2000 when I got my wife a new 300M. At four years old and 68K miles, the water pump failed when my wife was on the interstate. Instead of pulling over right away when it overheated, she drove it off the freeway to a service station. The sophisticated aluminum cylinder heads got so hot they warped. A rebuilt engine plus12 hours of labor for installation cost $5,800.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:39 AM
usafr
All Star

I get about 2 of those a month saying that my warranty has already expired. My truck is only a little over a year old with 20k miles on it. Those after market warranty companies get a listing of ppl with new vehichles and send out these official looking postcards,, but it's just a sales gimmick. I bought an extended warranty when I bought the truck. No decutible, and no limit.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Cumminnotstrokin
Professional

somebody is gonna come post in here how an extended warranty saved them but for 99% of the people that buy them they've simply pissed their money away.
My parents have always bought the extended warranty on every thing they buy fromvcr's quads dishwasher everything and have only had to use it once on my mom's Maytag washer ha ha ha. guess the old repair man had to get off of his a$$ that day

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty