Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Torque converter temp

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007 | 10:20 AM
flag5ther
Default Torque converter temp

1998 2500 12v 4X4 only mods is a 4" exhaust,K&N air filter. The trans was over hauled by AAMCO but they couldn't get the temps down, but were very happy overhauling my trans.(Shift kit, single plate TC). I pull a 5th wheel. CGVW of both 20k. I installed a trans gauge on the line comimg out of the trans heading up to block cooler. When pulling a hill temps go to 250F in 3rd gear. In 4th above 1700rpm temps are 160-190F. The only thing I have found is the trans will not go into 3rd or 4th if temps go over 260F, but it didn't say were they got the temp readings. Does any one know what the reading should be? What is the best thing I could do to drop the temp down when pulling (larger pan, Trans cooler and fan, or extra duty TC)?

Old 08-20-2007 | 02:38 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Default RE: Torque converter temp

iif you're towing that kind of weight a lot, it would behove you to have your tranny upgraded. A triple disk converter would definitely help the temps and a VB job would help the shifting. You tranny may have been done by AAMCO but, they do a pretty bad job and anything they touch. Performance parts for diesel trannies are what you need. Where do you live... maybe we can direct you to one of the well known outfits..

Old 08-20-2007 | 04:12 PM
Ralph78
Professional

Until you get the transmission upgraded, I would change the transmission fluid every 5,000-10,000 miles if the fluid temp. goes above 240F. You may want to put a larger transmission cooler on, and add a deep Aluminum Trans. Pan. (try to get one with fins on it).

The next time you need to have the transmission OH'ed, and you will, have it done by a shop, that has a good reputation for beefing up transmissions. At that time add a GOOD high performance Torque Converter, such as the ATS 5-Star, also have a "Lock Up Controller" installed. If you go the way I did, with the complete ATS package, with a "Billet" imput shaft you should be bullet proof, the blasted cost is VERY High.

NOTE!!!!!!
ATS requires that the fluid be completely changed out every 15,000 miles, that includes draining the Torque Converter (ATS TC's have a drain plug.). The change must be performed by a "shop" recorded on a form, and sent to them. No "do it yourself".

On my first drain @ 15,000 mile the fluid looked prety bad, and I was only towing 5,000-8,000 lbs. about 2,000 miles per month. My trans fluid temp never went over 210, and that was only for short periods when in stop and go traffic. Normally my trans. temp. was 150-180 when towing, even up the mountians. So from this I think I would ALWAYS change out the transmission fluid every 15,000 miles, on any of the the Dodge Auto Trans's.

Ralph

Old 08-20-2007 | 04:28 PM
Dharris

I'm not sure which trans is in the '98, but in my '06 48RE the temp probe is in the VB and 260 Degrees is the temp at which the computer forces a down shift from 4th to 3rd. I also pull close to the 20K LB range and never see temps close to that except when the TC is unlocked, but still I never see over 230. I have a lockup indicator I installed and I can keep and eye on the trans by watching the indicator and temps. If everything thing else is OK with the trans I would probably look into and external TC lockup sw. Maybe someone will chime in with more experience with the '98 than me.

Old 08-21-2007 | 11:54 AM
flag5ther

Thanks for all the replies! Answers: I am traveling. I am currently East of Detroit MI, but will return to Toledo OH 8/28/07. I am looking at the pan from ATS and trans cooler. Does anyone know the temperature drops? Thanks for the help on a trans shop I would prefer not to make the same mistake again. I will be taking Highway 2 from Marquette MI West and South when we reach Montana the middle of September.

Quick Reply: Torque converter temp