Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Truck almost stalled???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Erock509
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck almost stalled???

Well i was driving home from the dealership after an inspection of my 06 mega cag ctd, when all of a sudden the truck started idling really rough and felt like it was going to stall. The gas guage stated that i had bout 40 miles left. The only thing i could think of was the fuel was actually lower than stated. So luckily there was a gas station just to my right, i filled up and the truck was fine. This is my first diesel so im still trying to learn about certain things that they do. If someone could just tell me if they have had the same problem and if u think it really was the low fuel. Thanks

Old 08-21-2007, 09:33 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker
Default RE: Truck almost stalled???

Have you changed your fuel filter? How many miles on the truck?

Old 08-21-2007, 09:58 PM
FroneDaddy
Captain

U said the overhead said you had 40 miles left.........those things are never right, don't trust it. If you filled up and it was fine, sounds like you were lower than you thought and were about to run out.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:17 PM
Erock509
Veteran

ok thnx, and funny u should ask about the fuel filter. I just went today and bought one, i also just changed my oil and air filter. the truck has 27k on it, i bought it about a week ago and just took it to dodge today for a precautionary inspection. all was good but a minor leak in the front diff, which im taking in next week to be fixed under warranty. im changing the oil and filters because i was unable to find out the last services the truck and want to be safe than sorry. Also thnx to the person/s for posting the step by step instructions on changing the fuel filter, seems pretty simple and thats all i have left to do. I believe those few things cover pretty much all the simple services, if u guys have any other input that would be great. Also the pics i have are from my mega cab hemi, which im still trying to sell, ill try and posta pic of my new rig,,its bad azz

Old 08-21-2007, 11:03 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I would say fuel filter as well, or you were real low on gas. were you driving on a incline or decline?

Old 08-21-2007, 11:59 PM
Erock509
Veteran

Nope no incline or decline, and it just hit all of a sudden. Do the 06 ctd's have a low fuel light like the gas?? and i decided to just change the fuel filter tonight instead of the 100 degree weather during the day, it was easy and smooth,took all of about ten minutes,,and with the primes the truck started back up no problem. thnx a lot

Old 08-22-2007, 12:52 AM
handymanherb
Banned

My overhead goes to 0 miles 40 miles before I run out

Old 08-22-2007, 07:25 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with the way the CP3 pump works on these trucks, I wouldnt run the tank lower than 1/4 since the CP3 uses diesel to cool certian parts of the pump. the lower the level in the tank the hotter the fuel will be and the less protection you will get.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:35 PM
BrianDH

I have a 03 qaud cab 6 speed that was doing the same thing. It wanted to stall at an idle but ran fine at anything above 1000. I had a fresh fuel filter and a full tank of fuel. I ended up using some injectoer cleaner and running the **** out off it and now it seems to be fine. I figure it was some bad fuel and carbon build up the the injectoers.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BrianDH

I have a 03 qaud cab 6 speed that was doing the same thing. It wanted to stall at an idle but ran fine at anything above 1000. I had a fresh fuel filter and a full tank of fuel. I ended up using some injectoer cleaner and running the **** out off it and now it seems to be fine. I figure it was some bad fuel and carbon build up the the injectoers.

have you checked for water in your fuel filter???

Quick Reply: Truck almost stalled???