Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Lift block question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 11:16 AM
BTCRUZ
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift block question

How large of a lift block can you go under the rear leafs before you have to start worrying about axle wrap?

I know what I'd like to do to my truck as far as suspension goes, but the wallet says no way, so in my uncontrollable desire to lift my truck some, I'm considering one of the Tuff Country lifts that use the spacer for the front. Unfortunately, these lifts don't bring the rear up as much, and I want tobring it back up(I hate the level or tail sag look that most kits provide). I was thinking of adding a block under the rear leafs to get it back up there.

I'm well aware this type of lift does not provide any additional suspension travel and it's not going to perform like a Kore or Carli, but that's ok, I want the look more than anything at this point and the ability to clear 35-36" tires.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:31 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lift block question

stock, some people have been able to run 35's without any rubbing. if you were running spacers in the back, I would fear axel wrap with a programmer, but on a stock engine you shouldnt have to worry about it.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:49 PM
pakee001

I once put a Tough Country lift on a Ford Bronco and had the same issue, too low in the back afterwards for pulling a trailer. Found out from a friend the best fix for that was an added leaf spring, off of a Ford Super Duty. I'm not saying to put a Ford part on your Dodge, just saying that on gas rigs a lot of people will add another leaf right above the overload. You find a wrecked truck out of the junk yard and choose exactly which leaf will fit your application. In my experience you only need another inch to bring the back end up to the stock look after the Tough Country lift kit. But I am also talking "lift kit" here, and not leveling kit. You would obviously need more after the leveling kit.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:53 PM
BTCRUZ
Professional

Yeah, there's a guy local to me that I met in the parking lot of the grocery store not too long ago has 35's on his stock 03 CTD. He says they do rub a little bit, but only when he cranks the wheel way over. All fine and dandy, but personally, I thought the truck looked like crap. Amost no clearance between tire and fender...it almost looked like it had been lowered instead of larger tires on it. Again, it's a personal taste thing. You gotta have some clearance between fenders and tires for a 4x4 (especially lifted) to look right to me :-) I was thinking the Tuff Country 4" lift with some Mickey Thompson ATZ's or MTZ's (those are some good looking tires). They come in a 36" size.

Quick Reply: Lift block question