Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

My truck is not happy...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 01:30 AM
SpLaT
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My truck is not happy...

hmm... sample taken from filter? You say the bypass filter wasn't changed, and the sample came from the filter? I have to ask, and I'm not trying to a smart a$$ .. did the sample come directly from the filter itself or from a sample point on the filter housing? If you can get hold of a suction type sampler.. its a hose you thread down the dipstick tube to get to oil pan and pull on suction pump and draw oil to sample jug/jar, may be the better way to get a sample. Retrieving samples from the filter may get you concetrated contaminates. On the larger Cat engines I work with, they have a sample point on the oil coolers, we usually draw(while enignes are running fully loaded)a litre or 2 (quart or 2) then draw our samples on the smaller engines like our cummins gen sets we use the vaccum tubes.

Like I said earlier try another oil change or take your truck in for a "flush" drop in fresh oil and resample.
We're always going to findsome wear metals and other cotaninates as there is always going to be wear to some degree.

The MSD sheet won't list all the compounds making up the product due to "trade... copyright infringements" top secret ingridients....

Your oil analysis should show what theSpectro-chemical (ppm) and Physical Testsof new (clean) oil are for the mfr., oil brand, and grade this will be the starting point for comparrison. The Spectro-chemical will have the base ppm for each chemical, for new oil compare those with oil sample. The metals on new oil will be 0 ppm, silicon will be around 3 ppm, chemicals like phosphorus, calcium, zinc and molybderum will beconsiderabley higher. Zinc and phosphorus are your antiwear additives, where calcium is the detergent.As for physical tests did it show any water/glycol, how was the visc?

Old 08-25-2007, 01:36 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

water was < 0.10,
oxidation 4,
sulfination abs/ <2,
fuel %vol, <2.0
glycol <0.10.

I didnt see any spec for the Visc.... one thing is they dont show what the normal measurements should be (acceptable).

Old 08-25-2007, 01:45 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

Steve..

just wonderin what interested you in oil analysis?

Old 08-25-2007, 05:48 AM
sabersix

I'm no expert on oil analysis analysis, but as splat mentioned, I'd think about taking the oil sample from somewhere other than the bypass filter. I use a vampire pump to pull through the dipstick (which is a PITA to get the plastic tubing through BTW).

I had two samples analyzed on my 2004.5 prior to selling it. The first sample was done after I had put 5K miles on the truck, but was probably 10K+ miles since the last oil change done by the previous owner (doh!). Second sample was taken at 5K miles. I've attached it for comparison purposes below.[hr]

Old 08-25-2007, 09:21 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: bajafun

Steve..

just wonderin what interested you in oil analysis?
$100 bux an oil change vs $25 bux for the analysis...

Amsoil is supposed to be the best out there and they claimed you could go to 25k on an oil change... 1st sample was at 8000 miles, checked out ok, then at 15k.. not ok. I've always changed my oil at 5k intervals when using mobil 1 in the gasers and never had an internal problem on any motor while on that schedule. actually, since using synthetics I've yet to have an internal engine problem.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:49 AM
savage.basher

Steve-

How often should I change the oil in my truck? I'm sure they are just using regular oil (not synthetic). I had it changed at 2,500 and now the truck has6,500 on it. Also when should I have then change to synthetic?

thanks man

Old 08-25-2007, 01:04 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

I'd wait till 30k to go to synthetic... unless your towing often & heavy. The owners manual says there are 2 maint. schedules... 7500 or 15k, I figured since I was using the Amsoil and they were claiming 25k on an oil change with analyisis, I should be able to do it. well... it only made it to 15k last oil check, then 5k this time around. there was 1.5 quarts left in the system since I did not swap the extended life filter out. this time around, I'm swapping the main filter and draining the extended filter and putting in dino oil to flush it.

I have always up till now did my oil changes at 5k intervals and I'm thinking I'm going back to it...

Old 08-25-2007, 02:07 PM
SpLaT
Captain

I'm using Amsoil and drop the oil every 3000miles due to the mostly dirt roads and with a fair amount of stop n go as anyone working the oil patch can tell ya Steve I think Amsoil good for 15-25k may be for some one driving alot of highway miles. Any stop n go, dirt roading/hiway mix makes for alot of temp swings which shortens oil life. I think if you go back or at least lower the oil change intervals you will see a marked improvement.

savage.basher like Steve says wait till ya get 30k miles on before switching... by that time the enigne willbe "broke in"

speaking of dirt roads it rained last night very heavy rain too.... still raining ... suppose to rain till tuesday... lucky me I get to drive 100miles round trip on rained out road to log a small gas plant until tuesday then other guy gets to do it... poor truck is gonna take a pounding ... just took out ABS module on rear pumpkin.. broke the plastic connector.... took pressure washer to it cleaned it, plugged em back together zip strapped it and wrapped with some good stretchie tape till I get home in another 3 weeks

Old 08-25-2007, 03:12 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

I bought my truck with 13.8k on it in Mar of '06... I'm at 68~69k now... works out to be about 40k/year.

now that I think about it... the 1st 8k miles on the 15k run was all street... very little off road, the 2nd 7k was alot more off road, the last 5k have been even more off road. I just got done changing it, used mobile delvac 1300... planning on going about 1k miles and changing it again.... I plan on taking an oil sample right out of the pan this time and see what's up with it, then dump in another 13 qts of delvac and go 2k on that and re-sample. if all looks good after the 2nd sample, then I'll go back to the amsoil and stay on the 5k intervals.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:36 PM
savage.basher

thanks guys... I will switch at 30k like suggested, I was thinking about sticking to a 6,000 mile interval on changes so it was just double my other cars, think that would be OK?

Quick Reply: My truck is not happy...