Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

My truck is not happy...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 11:39 AM
SpLaT
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My truck is not happy...

Steve05,

F*@K !!! I justswapped out filters on the aFe guess what I found!? Yup, DIRT!!!! in the intake tube!!![:@][:@][:@]

I'm swappin back to OEM air box!! TDR issue #56 has write up on different CAIs looks like the best setup is the OEM air box, filter and a DPP Cool Hose!! This set up gave the best max torque and HP!
I will be dumping the engine oil this week and will get an oil analysis done. Hoping I caught it in time!! Sad thing is I'm stuck out in the bush and my oem filter is at home so I gotta wait a few days till I can get her back on!![:'(]

Also had a rock or three million take out the ABS sensor on the rear pumpkin!! Got back from my trip to check on a small gas plant 100mi round trip, to find the wires for the sensor dragging in the mud!! So I gotta stop at Stealer and see if I get new sensor and plug!! [:@]

Old 08-27-2007, 12:55 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

I check mine every time the filter is off, I have yet to find anything significant in there. the oil analysis agrees... the silicon level (I think that was relating to the air filter) was less than 3 which was normal.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:07 PM
SpLaT
Captain

I also check every time. Took some guaze and wipped the tube to see (do this every time as well) found dirt!! I hoping (wishfully) with the tube being plastic which is great at producing static electricity its produced enough to "trap" most or all of the dirt befroe it got too far!! it was pretty dry up here (very dusty roads) up until Friday night, then the rain started 2 runs up north to the gas plant in the rain/mud I thought I'd change the filter. This is the first time I found dirt. This enough to make me change back! As I still have plenty of warranty left I don't need to have it thrown out due to aftermarket filter!! At least until I'm satisfied (with oil analysis) I'm not getting any extrta dirt!

Old 08-27-2007, 02:11 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I'm sticking with my regular ole Rotella T oil and changing it every 5K. I just don't get the attraction to the long oil change intervals at all. I'm actually now thinking about draining off a gallon at 2500 since it's so easy to do now with the flip valve.

All in all I think that fresh / clean oil is the best wepon against engine break down.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:12 PM
firemansdodge
Professional

Get rid of the AFE oil filter and get an Amsoil Nano Fiber replacement filter for your system. Flows more air and traps dirt good. The oil filters if not cleaned and oil right. Will not work and trap everything (not saying you guys don't clean it right. Sounds like you guys take good care ofyour filters). You can also change out to an AFE Dry Filter. Don't know how well they hold up though.

I also change my oil every 3,000-3,500 miles since I bought the life time oil change through my dealer for $600 when I bought my truck. I figure roughly $70 a pop for an oil change at the dealer or $30-40 to buy synthetic oil to do yourself. I pretty much paid for itself after 2 1/2 years.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:06 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

Hey Mayfair, is this the type of plug you bought? http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....er=FTP-F104N-A I know I've asked before but I'm about ready to order one and take over the oil change responsiblities (was bringing the oil to a shop that charged $18 bux). I think it's easy enough to add a hose to the end and dump it right into the transpo can for recycling...

as for the air filters... I've run K&N's for over 200k miles and have never had an issue with them, I have about 45k on this AFE setup and dont see a reason to change it. I would however like to look into getting a 10" version of what I have (currently 9") and see if I can get it to fit in there.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Yeah Steve, that's the one.

I absolutely love it. It really doesn't get any easier to do an oil change. I attach a piece of hose about 2" long and direct the oil right into an old oil jug. It flows a little slow because the nipple is smaller, but it's also easier to manage because of it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/42139/C2FCDA90988E44979270FC859F2CCA30.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-27-2007, 07:22 PM
tkk2500
Amateur

I have the same setup. Changed the oil Saturday the same way minus the hose. Didn't spill a drop.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:30 PM
SpLaT
Captain

Mayfair, I really like that drain valve set up as well, only I'm afraid with the road conditions, a rock is gonna take it out. I'll have to crawl under the truck and see what kind of hits the oil pan might be taking. If it looks good I'm getting one of those things!I've seen how the gravel/sand has blasted away what paint was on the rear axel, also my rear shocks are taking a pounding as well, going to wrap them up with a mud flap and have them hang below the mounts. I've changed out the shock bushings once already, thats when I dumped the dino oil on each shock and dropped in some motorcycle synthetic shock oil, which will help during the winter months. It was expensive not to mention $20.00 for each shock to charge with 200lbs of nitorgen.[:@]

Old 08-27-2007, 08:02 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

High copperis generaly youroil cooler. . .this isnt the first time Ive seen a high copper count out of the blue. I havent done oil analysis yet on my truck. . .I need to[&:]

Ive seen some reports come back with high copper like that, then all of a sudden go down while on the same oil. no rhyme or reason. it could be something, however it could still be a sign of your truck still doing a little breaking in since you did say you got on it hard a few times.

Quick Reply: My truck is not happy...