Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

AFE Filter Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 07:29 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: Experiment under way...

ORIGINAL: triton

very cool Steve... thanks for doing the write up. I wonder.... could K&N's solution be damaging to the AFE media ? I'm sure both solutions are only concentrated soap but, I wonder if certain media's require certain solvents ?

Isn't the K&N paper and the AFE fiber ? Not sure myself.
physically they both look the same to me... I have a brand new K&N filter in the garage, next time I come across it I'll take pics of the inside & outside for comparison.

As for it damaging the media? I doubt it but I'll keep an eye on the inside of the filter. if there is damage I'd think it'd show up there as well as the outside. both the inside & outside have a wire mesh so I doubt any of it will be going anywhere.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:47 PM
bwrong
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you have a cold air system or just a drop in replacement. I have a K&N cold air on mine and it most definetly lets much more air in than the original box. Tubo screams with the silencer in.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:36 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Had we not been discussing this today, I never would have thought to ask this ...

I was washing / cleaning my camping chairs tonight because they got filthy from ashes that blew on them from the fireplace. My plan was to clean them up and once dry I'd spray them with some Scotchguard to help keep them clean. While cleaning them with Simple Green, I noticed that some of the spots weren't comming off no matter how hard I scrubbed. I then sprayed them with Shout used for removing spots from clothes and the stains came right off.

And then it hit me ...

Would Shout work as well on my K&N?

Since I just cleaned my K&N I wasn't ready to try it out just yet, but I was wondering if anyone else had and if so how they made out? If not, do you see any potential problems by doing so? Shout sure did a heck of a job removing the stains / spots from my chairs.

Whadda ya think?

Old 08-29-2007, 12:33 AM
finny
All Star

shout might be a little abrasive to the filter media. but i am no expert

Old 08-29-2007, 01:12 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

I wouldnt use shout, it may have bleach or something similar in it which could weaken the material...

Old 08-29-2007, 01:45 AM
Mayfair
Legend

I think if it had bleach in it it wouldn't be safe to use on colored clothes. Also, if it doesn't break down clothes, do you think it would break down a filter?

Old 08-29-2007, 09:38 AM
SpLaT
Captain

I came across simple green by accident, I ran out of K&N cleaner and was stuck in a remote location. Ineeded to clean my back-up filter so I thought I'd give it a shot. Normally I mock simple green because like Mayfair found out ti really don't clean well, except that it is a degreaser (and a mild one at that!) Somebody up here at work loves the stuff and thinks its the Cats' meow!! I had two chioces use simple green which I believe is real mild or use Citrol (citrus based bio degradable spray cleaner... now this stuff actually cleans!! use it a spot cleaner on my coveralls for oil/grease stains, cleans em like new!!) I thought Citrol might be too aggresive so went with the simple green. Like I said before I mix simple green with water in a pail and let the filter soak usually overnight. I've noticed the aFE cleaner won't or doesn't clean the deeper part of each pleat, so the thought of completely soaking the filter may help. What I've noticed with soaking is the deeper parts of the pleats are being cleaned, except for the larger debreis particals like insects. Cleaning the insects requires forcing the pleats apart and brushing them out, I did try the "pre-filter" only to find it plugs off rather quickly and I mean FAST!! The pre-filter clogged up so fast I nearly didn't catch it in time it had actually started to crush the aFe filter anddamn near sucked it into my intake!!

Steve05, I never got a chance to, after cleaning with simple green to spray filter down withK&N celaner as I had none at the time, so I've been using simple green ever since. I may try for sh*ts and giggles the Citrol cleaner on one of my filters (gonna have to replace the one thatwas "squeezed") see how it does. As for Mayfairs' "shout" it may work as it meant forclothing, although the aFe is suppose to be made of medical grade guazematerail, it may degrade it!?

Quick Reply: AFE Filter Cleaning