Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Pressure vs. Timing and Pulse Width

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 03:16 PM
KillerCummins
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pressure vs. Timing and Pulse Width

When I chose my performance upgrade, I chose Bully Dog because they said the only thing they change is injection timing and pulse width. Which to me translates to, the injectors would inject fuel sooner/more often, and they would inject for longer periods of time. Which seems like the CP3 doesn't see a big difference from the stock load, and the injectors are just basically doing what they always did exept a little more often. This is just the way I have put it together in my mind and I was wondering ifany of the allknowing moderators or gurus could share their wisdom with me so thatI can continue planning how to build my own ultimate beast. Thanks so much guys.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:24 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pressure vs. Timing and Pulse Width

you got it. . .timeing is just that, advancing the moment of injection. . .duration is increaseing the time the injector is open. Pressure on the other hand is a function of the CP3 and it increaseing the pressure of the rail, which basicaly does the same as duration. . .in a way since more fuel is being injected. pure pressure boxes can be rather hard on the injectors if it is not monitored closely. you will either crack the injector, or pop the rail pop-off valve.

now, there comes a point(and I can hit it with my truck) where pure timeing/duration will actualy run the rail dry and the CP3 cannot catch up. this is where a pressure box is needed to increase the pressure of the rail which makes sure you dont run out of fuel. In this case the truck will actualy backfire and buck quite a bit untill the CP3 can catch back up, which is when I usualy let out of the throttle and grab another gear. then there comes another time when you not only run out of pressure, but flow to create the HP you want, that is when an upgraded CP3, or dual CP3 comes in handy.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:31 PM
KillerCummins
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, I was hoping you would help my out, thanks drew. Ok, so is it ok to get a pressure box and crank her up? Oris a modified CP3 or Dual CP3 the correct way to do it? And with a modCP3 or DualCP3 set up, do I have to buy a pressure box to reprogram the computer?

Old 08-29-2007, 03:55 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would only use a pressure box to suppliment the timeing/duration of the other box. . .cranking up the pressure will give a good deal of performance, however you will see MASSIVE smoke and VERY high EGT's from that. the TS MP8 pressure box set on about 25% would be perfect to keep the rail pressurized. the stock CP3 is good for HP numbers into the 500's, however by then upgraded injectors would help more then an upgraded CP3. much past 550 an upgraded CP3 is needed, and you can also mod the FCA in the CP3 to give yourself a bit more fuel if needed

the best way to go as far as mods would be
Box
upgraded lift pump
downloader/box stack
turbo
injectors
then maybe toy around with a modded CP3

as far as a modded single CP3, no computer mods are needed, with dual CP3's, I'm not real sure how those wire up, but I would imagine there is a Y cable that connects the both to the computer.

Quick Reply: Pressure vs. Timing and Pulse Width