Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Got my new turbo in, got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 01:30 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Got my new turbo in, got some questions

I quickly tried to dig some info up on it but couldnt find anything, might do a harder search tomorrow to find some mapping charts.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:38 PM
BLACK CLOUD
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Drew

I quickly tried to dig some info up on it but couldnt find anything, might do a harder search tomorrow to find some mapping charts.
This may help you out. http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...mapCummins.pdf
Im not sure how to read them but all I know is I could'nt be any more pleased with it sofar.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:00 PM
Drew
Professional

which one do you have. . .stage 1, 2 or 3. the stage 1 spools just like the stock, if not just a bit quicker, and can withstand higher pressures, stage 2 will be a bit laggy untill the boost kicks in, then it flows like nothing else. . .stage 3 is a VERY laggy ****, probably has a large compressor wheel and slightly larger turbine houseing. that stage 3 would be used more for off road(sled pulling or drag). . .a 5.9 with a HRVP44, 100hp injectors, and some good electronics would get it to light, but would need to spin to 4000rpm to do so. that stage 2 turbo looks like it would be a good canidate for a twins setup as the larger turbo.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:08 PM
BLACK CLOUD
Professional

which one do you have. . .stage 1, 2 or 3. the stage 1 spools just like the stock, if not just a bit quicker, and can withstand higher pressures, stage 2 will be a bit laggy untill the boost kicks in, then it flows like nothing else. . .stage 3 is a VERY laggy ****, probably has a large compressor wheel and slightly larger turbine houseing. that stage 3 would be used more for off road(sled pulling or drag). . .a 5.9 with a HRVP44, 100hp injectors, and some good electronics would get it to light, but would need to spin to 4000rpm to do so. that stage 2 turbo looks like it would be a good canidate for a twins setup as the larger turbo.
I have the stage 2 installed. With my setup it is not lagy at all. I also have the stage 3 (not in my poseshion but bot and payed for) wich i ran for a littlebit befor i had the edge, H.O. VP44, or the FASS on. I took it right of I couldnt get it to start firing till around 23-2500 RPM. Im hoping to get it back soon and myby try it agen after a few more mods or sell it and put that money back into my truck.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Drew
Professional

I'm pretty sure if you got enough fuel through your truck it would fire off at lower RPM's. however I still think it would be better off as a competition turbo for the drag or sled pulling.

from looking at the chart I was figureing the stage two would be a bit more laggy. . .however I didnt take into account your pump and injectors, that is probably what gets it up and going like it does.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Mayfair
Legend

stage 2 will be a bit laggy untill the boost kicks in, then it flows like nothing else. . .
I guess if he has a boost fooler or something like that that would explain why it flows outta the gate huh?

Old 08-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Drew
Professional

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

stage 2 will be a bit laggy untill the boost kicks in, then it flows like nothing else. . .
I guess if he has a boost fooler or something like that that would explain why it flows outta the gate huh?

theres not much you can do for boost fooling on the VP44's since the waste gate is actuated pneumaticaly. you can have the boost elbow that will allow for higher numbers.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:17 PM
BLACK CLOUD
Professional

I'm pretty sure if you got enough fuel through your truck it would fire off at lower RPM's. however I still think it would be better off as a competition turbo for the drag or sled pulling.

from looking at the chart I was figureing the stage two would be a bit more laggy. . .however I didnt take into account your pump and injectors, that is probably what gets it up and going like it does.
I do agree with you. I just think if I can get it back I mite as well give it a try just to see. BTW Injectors are still stock (but not for long)

Old 08-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Drew
Professional

gotcha. . .if you have an upgraded VP44 and that edge module, that will get you going well.

injectors will give you a bit more juice.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:49 PM
BLACK CLOUD
Professional

gotcha. . .if you have an upgraded VP44 and that edge module, that will get you going well.

injectors will give you a bit more juice.
Ya. 75 or 100 HP injectors will be going on soon I hope!!!

Quick Reply: Got my new turbo in, got some questions