Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Electric R/C people beware of LIPO batteries lol

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Ben D.
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric R/C people beware of LIPO batteries lol

Funny story hehe. I have a parkflyers begin air RC plane that runs on electric. I have a regular nimh battery pack and then I upgraded to the LIPO battery and charger that last longer. Well after about six uses which hardly justified the price tag of 70 bux for charger and battery the battery literally burst into flames while it was charging. Luckily I ahd it on a dinnerplate like they suggest and was able to throw it out the door into the driveway where I then extinquished teh blaze. was rather funny afterwards but kinda pissed me off i'm out 70 bux now for no real good reason but at least I got to run outisde and play fireman.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:12 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Default RE: Electric R/C people beware of LIPO batteries lol

Wow in all the Magazines they say lipo batteries are all the craze right now.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Ben D.
Champion

they are cuz they have great run times and lower charge times I mean this battery lasted about five times as long as the nimh and charged up in about 1/5th of the time. I know they have warnings for the batteries but I never really took it serously then boom.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:38 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I think they have them for mini's I ahve two rc18mt's and a mini quake. I have to get all my rc stuff back in order. I want to get them all runing again jsut have not had the time. will take a week off and do it all then. after I got my quad that took priority for a while then I sold it and soon after got my diesel and there is another prioritizer and my new job (10 months now) they have unlimited over time and that has taken a lot of my time as well. Sheez I am busy.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:29 AM
rangerman
Professional

funny, I have never had a problem with a lipo yet. Funny story though. I bet it was fun

Old 09-04-2007, 02:03 AM
RobertDunn
Professional

Hmm, LIPO? never heard of those, I run NiMH for Airsoft, but I guess the rage is to switch to NiCad, supposed to be better...?

Old 09-04-2007, 10:28 AM
BTCRUZ
Professional

Noooo...NiCadis old technology. NiCad develops "memory" issues, has poor durability and short life span. NiMh are much better than NiCad and LiPo are better yet. Much depends on your current draw requirements though as some technologies are well suited for extended low draw applicationsand others for high draw.

All batteries are subject to overheating and fire, especially in high current draw applications and as noted, charging. Be very carefull with your batteries.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:26 AM
RobertDunn
Professional

Yeah I thought NiCad was old, must have switched them, or just heard the rumors of LiPo and confused the name with NiCad... don't think LiPo has made it to the main Airsoft community yet...

Old 09-04-2007, 01:04 PM
savage.basher

I just switched to NiMH for my duratrax vendetta (14Ga wire all around too ), I opted to not go with the LiPo because I had heard stuff about them doing this exact same thing (except for the raging fire part ), I also didn't want to put out the money for a new charger. Hey if anyone is looking for battery packs, go here. www.cheapbatterypacks.comI highly recommend them, they offer great product/service for a really good price, not just RC stuff either. I had them build my three packs I just bought for the vendetta, very nice.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Ben D.
Champion

yea the only difference between the lipo pack and the nimh i have is that the nimh has a lower milliamp rating than the lipo. so that's wehre the extra run time came in for the lipo.

Yea I read the warning just didn't think nething of it and yea I look back on it it's funny but i can't help but be a bit angry it only lasted as long as it did. but o well it's a good story.

Quick Reply: Electric R/C people beware of LIPO batteries lol