Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

6.7 fuel milage

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 11:22 PM
cookie_monstr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 6.7 fuel milage

ya should really read the August issue of Diesel Power. it has an article of them running a 97 1ton dualie and getting about 30mpg!!!

ualchik there is also a section on a 06 3500 mega cab thats twinturboed, 22inch rims wraped with 255/70 toyo tires. and he is doing 19mpg!
oh and the odometer reads 12000 or so miles on it.
pick up a mag....u can always get great tips and learn form others blown and broken engines.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:07 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

Thinking that your 37" tires were throwing off the MPG calculations, I did a little math:

Tirerack.com has specs on tire sizes. I am assuming your truck came with 265-70-17 tires, which have a 31.7" diameter. 37" tires actually have a 36" diameter. Your old tires would be turning 659 revolutions per mile; the new ones are 574 revs/mile. That means you should multiply your odometer reading by 1.148. Using the corrected odometer reading turns 13 MPG into 15, 10 MPG is around 12.

If you want, I can create an Excel file that will calculate your MPG with an empirical correction for your bigger tires. Let me know.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:11 AM
ualchick

So even though the speedo is on the computer that calcutates the average is off? Hmmm...
If you don't mind whipping up that exel file that would be great!
Thanks,
ualchick

Old 09-07-2007, 02:39 AM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

OK HOLD THE PRESSES!!!

I'm hi-jacking this thread - - UALChick - - Welcome!!! I say that from the deepest bottom of my heart!! I am so tired of being the only estrogen in this place some days!!

So please do me a favor STICK AROUND!!! I need some backup

Old 09-07-2007, 07:25 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One of the magazine's
Car and Driver, Road & Track or MotorTrend
has in the current issue
a long-term test review of a 6.7 Ram Megacab
their hot-footed staff has put about 13,000 miles on.

Their average MPG on ULSD and the 6.7 was pretty low...in the low teens if I remember correctly.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:49 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

ORIGINAL: ualchick

So even though the speedo is on the computer that calcutates the average is off? Hmmm...
If you don't mind whipping up that exel file that would be great!
Thanks,
ualchick
Actually, unless you do something to reprogram your speedometer, both your speedometer and odometer will be off if your tires have a different diameter than what the factory used. A bigger tire travels further with each revolution that a smaller tire, so with your big 37s you are going faster than your speedo shows and further than your odometer shows.

I took an Excel file that I use to track my fuel economy, and modified it to make a correction for a different tire size. You can download the file here: http://h1.ripway.com/hildenja/UALchickMPGCalc.xls

I am assuming you have Excel on your computer. If not, you can probably download Open Office (freeware) and open it that way.

On the Excel file, the cells with blue type are the ones where you input data. The cells in black are formulas, and I locked them so you don't accidentally delete something important. I entered two rows of examples; you can just delete the blue cells to enter your own data. In the box labeled "Correction Factor," I entered the data for your truck and assumed you started with 265-70-17 tires. You can modify the tire sizes if you wish, you just need to know the tire diameter which you can find on Tirerack.com. The "Corrected Miles" column uses a correction factor based on a ratio of the revolutions/mile of the two tires.

If you want to re-format or otherwise modify the formula cells, you need to 'unprotect' the sheet. Go to the 'Tools' menu, select 'Protection,' then 'Unprotect Sheet.' There is no password.

Let me know if you have any questions. Joel

Old 09-09-2007, 12:30 PM
ualchick

Nice to know there are other girls out there that are dodge fans!
ualchick

Old 09-12-2007, 03:10 PM
learn2launch

I just bought an 08 QC short box 6 spd Automatic.I got 18.2 mpg over a 500 mile stretch of pretty flat highway driving at around an average speed of70 mph.The truck now has 625 miles on it so it should get better mileage as the years go on? this is my first Diesel motor, I plan to buy a toyhauler late this year or in the spring of 08. This is my first post on this forum.
Grant

Old 09-12-2007, 03:53 PM
mikesram
Professional

I been getting 18 mpg on my 07 when I bought it, It now has 7000 miles and getting between 18-20. Hang in there mileage should increase with more miles put on it. Have any pictures of the monster? Got to show it.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:49 PM
cookie_monstr
Professional

i wonder y every one is getting 18mpg or so when im getting 20...23(when my dad drives)? is that wierd. it like 40000 miles on it. i only have that ats intake piece and the chip. i havnt even gotten to the intake box or the exahust. i also want to put a c/f hood (less weight) with the srt 10 hood scoop.
oh and its also a 2wd.

Quick Reply: 6.7 fuel milage