Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fuel Gauge Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 07:57 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Gauge Question

I had to drop my tank last week so I thought thatI would carry a can of diesel with me and run the tank as low as possible. Well I did run it as low as possible, it ran out of diesel about 10 miles from my house. I put in enough to get the gauge up to 1/8th mark and drove home. When I dropped the tank, the gauge was a hair under 1/8th and there was only about 1/2 inch of fuel in the bottom of the tank. After seeing this, I have decided to never let it get lower than 1/4 tank. If you saw how little fuel there was in the tank, you would too. I'll give it to Dodge, the sending unit can really suck the fuel off the bottom of the tank!

Also, my DTE was at 1 when it completely ran out. I would suggest that you don't try this unless you have a fuel pressure gauge and watch it like a hawk when you get low. I did and saw the pressure drop when the truck ran out. I was on the highway late at night and turned the key off and coasted to the side of the road and put more diesel in the truck. This kept it from running completely dry. it also made the tank very easy to remove from the truck.

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge Question