Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

03 injector/nozzels/problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 07:52 PM
BrianDH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 injector/nozzels/problems

I have a 03 2500 CTD that seems to have injector problems. Does anyone know of any full after market injectors. All I can find is nozzels for 700-1000 a setand dodge wants 700 a piece for injectors. What is the most common part of the injector that fails/sticks. Might changing the nozzels solve my problem. I have a rought idle that wants to stall until my rpms are over 1200. The truck has an intake exhaust and a BD tuner set to tow. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Watermelon
Captain
Default RE: 03 injector/nozzels/problems

Id tell the Stealer to cram it!!!! How many miles are on the truck? Im thinking more along the lines of thelift pump. It may be getting weak. Have you tried doing the key trick to see if its throwing any codes

Old 09-11-2007, 08:32 PM
BrianDH

Thanks for the reply. The truck has 17000km on it. I checked the codes with my programer and nothing showed up. Would a lift pump cause hesitation and a rough idle. Anyway to test the lift pump?

Old 09-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Watermelon
Captain

17k Is awful early for injectors to fail on a CTD. I would check the little stuff b4 buying a set. Air restrictions, fuel filter maybe even run some cleaner in the fuel. Or even put cleaner in the fuel and run the snot out of it on the road and try to burn off some of the crud on the tips.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:46 PM
BrianDH

The air filter and fuel filter are both fresh with no water in the filter. I ran 2 bottles of injecter cleaner through it about 2000km ago and it ran fine for about a week. Then started up again. would carbon build up this fast?

Old 09-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Watermelon
Captain

I would not think it would build up that fast. What kind of driving do you do? Short tripping and low rpm"s are'nt good. I run mine on the interstate mostly and keep it wound tight and I have 110k with no probs yet. Run some more cleaner through and run it hard and see what happens. Also are you guys on the ulsd fuel. maybe the low sulfur has them sticking a bit. Try to find some cleaner with lubriticity like PSD ( power service diesel) Good Luck

Old 09-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Watermelon
Captain

Have you tried disconnecting your programmer yet? They do give problems from time to time. Some of the guys have posted recently about their programmers crashing. I think Nickbeek just took his off cause his truck started running like crap.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:06 PM
amock
Professional

Brian, I have an 03 as well and have had no problems with the fuel system in any way. How long do you let your truck idle when your parked. I do know you can not let these trucks idle for long periods(5-10 min tops). The temps drop so low, fuel can not be burned and carbon starts to build on the injectors. I know a guy who experienced this. He always had the truck idling on job sites and stuff, his injectors finally clogged too much and he blew entire fuel system.I wouldnt pay for new injectors yet, look at your pump, or I recommend taking it to the dealer and having them do a fuel injector cleaner service on it.Its deep cleaning of the fuel system, lot better than the additive you put in your gas tank.I run Howe's additive just for some extra lubricicity since they switched to ultra low sulfur. good luck

Old 09-11-2007, 09:16 PM
BrianDH

It could be the driving when I go to work its a 10min drive in slow conditions. I also run a blend of DII and Tolad 9125 wich are lubricity and ignition inprovers. The program has been out for the last week with no difference. I will try more injector cleaner and running the **** out of it again. What stumps me is my driving, fuel/additivehaen't changed in the last year and this seems to be a recent problem.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Hauler6
Rookie

A good injector cleaner in the fuel is the same as having the dealer hook the machine up to it and clean it, just takes alot less time.