Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

my audio system

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 10:53 PM
Flent
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: my audio system

ORIGINAL: RyEnFF31

Everything looked really good. I only recommend that you run your ground wire all the way to the battery. I have personally had interference problems grounding to the cab/chassis. Just my $.02
Actualy there is other ways to get rid of the whine then running the ground to the battery. You want your ground for your amp to be within 18" of the amp. The shorter the better. The whine could be the location of the ground, like if there is a factory ground in the area of your ground, little bit loose or not all the paint removed. Noise and whine are one of the hardest things to diagnos, for instance one problem that can cause noise in AM radio is if not all the body panels (special the hood and panel where the ant is mounted ) have a good ground path to each other. I am going to stop now cause I can talk about this all night..

I like the build I just like having my folding flat storage to much to get rid of it.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:55 PM
rausch42
Rookie

That is a nice box this is a picture of mine I had it custom fabricated from my neighbor he does awesome work seat clears by like 2 inches and has plenty of air space in it to handle the 10

Old 09-15-2007, 12:11 AM
cookie_monstr
Professional

mmmm...we should se which hits harder.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:50 PM
sharx ram
Champion

looks good guys [8D]

Old 09-15-2007, 04:40 PM
pngmotoman
Rookie

very nice looking boxes guys been thinking of doing one

Old 09-15-2007, 05:09 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Actualy there is other ways to get rid of the whine then running the ground to the battery. You want your ground for your amp to be within 18" of the amp. The shorter the better. The whine could be the location of the ground, like if there is a factory ground in the area of your ground, little bit loose or not all the paint removed. Noise and whine are one of the hardest things to diagnos, for instance one problem that can cause noise in AM radio is if not all the body panels (special the hood and panel where the ant is mounted ) have a good ground path to each other. I am going to stop now cause I can talk about this all night..
You can put a large capacitor across the + and - right at the amp and it will get rid of alternator whine. By large, I mean the size of a soda can. Us ham radio guys have been doing this for years and it works great.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:29 PM
Twoforme2
Veteran

ORIGINAL: CowboyBob

You can put a large capacitor across the + and - right at the amp and it will get rid of alternator whine. By large, I mean the size of a soda can. Us ham radio guys have been doing this for years and it works great.
Or two decent size caps in parallel with a nice size inductor beween making a Pi Filter...another thing some of us Ham radio guys been doing for years...hi hi, Run into those guys all over the place...
DE ND6A ex KE6RHI, KO6YC, NO6X, Z38/NO6X, and Z38X

Old 09-16-2007, 01:15 AM
ga_noplugs

ORIGINAL: Twoforme2

hi hi, Run into those guys all over the place...

Regarding the whine, though, best bet is to work on your grounds to get rid of it. Filters work but it could just show up somewhere else if other grounds "go bad"

We are everywhere arent we... ki4srb

Old 09-16-2007, 09:00 AM
Twoforme2
Veteran

Yes the ground system is very important, and I guess I just took for granted one would assure him/herself a good ground to begin with, mainly because of MY habits, but you are right the ground system is VERY important.
The whine filter is usually a LAST resort, for noise that is induced to the system, that no amount of grounding/bonding will ever take care of.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:37 AM
cookie_monstr
Professional

dam..ya taking this to a scientific level that i dont remeber since i got out of school.

Quick Reply: my audio system