Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fuel heater question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 01:20 AM
Sereguial
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel heater question

Ok, so I finally got around to changing out my fuel filter (working on a thesis is very time consuming...), I also got the Walbro GFSlift pump kit from Glacier Diesel Power and they are VERY fast, ordered it on wednesday and got it on friday.... (doesn't hurt they are only 2 hours away but still...).
Well when I went to drain the cansiter... nothing came out... so after trying to get it to free up a little and having no luck I just took the cap off. the filter was HORRIBLE and there were metal shavings and such in there... so I took the whole canister out to clean it and unclog the drain.
I found that the drain was cloged with what looked like patrolium jelly? and the metal was from the fuel heater (the plastic ring at the top of the canister on the inside) I disassembled it and all it is is two metal plates that the fuel goes through, and between the two plates are washers, I think they are what heats up and the fuel is warmed by them. Well two of the four of those were in several pieces, and there was a part that looked like it tried to weld itself together, that is safe!
I ended up taking out the heating elements all together, and the fuse (which was blown) I also removed just in case. I found out that it costs $154 from the dealer...
My question is: has anyone else taken it out? Does it make a difference? (since I know mine didn't work, but I don't know when it went out, and I never had cold start issues).

Old 09-16-2007, 01:28 AM
Sereguial
Professional
Default RE: Fuel heater question

Oh, and forgot to ask: 20psi at idle a good pressure or too high? (I only have a liquid filled pre-filter guage in the engine bay, so don't know what it does when I get into it).

Old 09-16-2007, 01:33 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

I dont see a problem with the heater emoved. heck mine doesnt even have one....

pretty sure they help out in extreme cold weather though. youre not runnin bio are yaz?

Old 09-16-2007, 01:36 AM
Sereguial
Professional

No bio...
I am not worried so much about cold starts anymore anyhow, since I am moving to SC here in less then 1 month, just wanted to make sure I was missing something (can't imagine what though).

Old 09-16-2007, 01:26 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I've got the Walbro pump and put on an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I originally had it at 15 PSI, but turned it up to 18PSI because I was still seeing single digit readings when I got into the throttle while towing. I think Triton has his set to 22 PSI. I wouldn't go much higher than that because you will start to blow fuel out of the banjo fitting and other places.

Quick Reply: Fuel heater question