Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Tracbar install coming...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 08:21 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Tracbar install coming...

Look what showed up Saturday... Going to be installing this week and recentering my front axle.

It is a Thurenfab bar... http://www.thurenfabrication.com/3rdgentrackbar.html

[IMG]local://upfiles/1508/ADEA55D961E24BE89CE3BB005536CCB3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-16-2007, 08:50 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tracbar install coming...

money well spent Steve. I recently install it and the rest of his steering kit along with the DSS and the truck drives and handles like a fine tuned machine.
If you get the chance to add the rest of the Thuren linkage... don't hesitate.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:11 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

I'm thinking of going to the heavy duty steering kit... is this what you did?

http://thurenfabrication.com/crossover.html

Old 09-16-2007, 09:19 PM
triton
Record Breaker

yeah, that's what I was talking about, along with this.... http://www.sourceautomotive.biz/dss002034.htm

I never knew a Dodge could drive so well. Death wobble is a thing of the past for any truck with this upgraded hardware. Other than performance upgrades, I can't imagine a better way to spend money of a mod.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:21 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

how did it drive after the heavy duty steering upgrade & before the steering brace?

Old 09-16-2007, 09:40 PM
triton
Record Breaker

I did it all at the same time so I couldn't say. Before the install, my truck needed alignment really bad. It pulled to the left hard because the last time I had it aligned, they tried to set it up with as little rub as possible. My truck rubbed on the driver side when turned all the way. Adjusting the alignment helped that but, it ended up getting way out of wack.

I had planned an alignment after installing the linkage but, it needed to be driven a little before doing so to break in the new set up. Well, I never had to go back for the alignment. The linkage alone adjust the whole front end to where it drives straight as an arrow now. I will still do the alignment though cause it could use a little tweaking to the Toe-out.

The DSS is part steering stabilizer, part steering gear box stabilizer and part frame support. If there was any flexing to the frame in the front of the truck... it's gone now.

All I can say it that it's tight as can be. No play, no wander, no wobble. They way D/C should have made it in the first place [sm=oopssign.gif]

Old 09-16-2007, 09:56 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

OK, I'll put the DSS steering stablizer on the list to get when I get the HD steering kit... Don was mentioning that the steering kit he offers helps out alot up front, with the recent post here of someone looking a TRE while on the road, I think it'll be the way to go.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:45 PM
SpLaT
Captain

Talked to a offroad speciality shop in my parts, about the tie rod issues I experienced. What they do is completely replace the steering links and install linkages from a yr model 99 dodge 3500, seems the tie rods are heavier duty then 3rd gen stuff and also eliminates the "death wobble" experienced in the newer trucks. A complete change over including labour about $1000.00cdn. May go that way as I'm a little leary about the "hemi-spherical" joints used by the Thuren guy as the bushings areteflon and they don't have tolerance when it comes to foreign matter. With the road conditions I experience don't think they would last long. Just like the OEM ball joints which are lined with teflon, reason oem ball joints aren't greasable is due mainly for fear one might get dirt through the grease zerek and cause the lining to fail.

just my $0.02....

Old 09-17-2007, 05:42 PM
KillerCummins
Professional

I bought a replacement tie rod end this morning. It cost me 56 bones. Its just the end that connects to the pitman arm, I think it wore out because of the angle it sits at with the lift. Its the drop pitman arm that came with the lift, but it seems like the angle is still sharp and caused it to wear out. Is that what happened to yours, Splat?

Old 09-17-2007, 11:34 PM
SpLaT
Captain

KillerCummins, I have the Kore system only have about a 3" lift up front, I lost the right side tie rod cost me 158 bones,[:@] soo I bought 2, 1 to replace one borrowed and another for a spare keepin it in me tool box.

Quick Reply: Tracbar install coming...