Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Questions about dealerships, please post answers...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 08:58 AM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Questions about dealerships, please post answers...

The part i hate the most about the dealer, and I have really only ever foudn this a dodge Dealers is that the service writer guy thinks he/she (sometimes I can't tell, but thats a whole other post) know far more than you do and is down right indignant. I consider myself quite the shadetree mechanic. The only thignsI have ever had done at dealerships is re-flashes. Then for some reason the service writer all of a sudden ebcame a warranty sales guy. He wanted me to buy more extended warranties. Guy/girl said, " What if the motor breaks do you think you can work on it, do you know how diesel engines work?" That person scoffed when I said that I am a skilled gas, diesel, electronic and thermonucleaer weapons technician and to back off."

Why do they need to be cocky a$$ faces?

Old 09-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Twoforme2
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Parts/Service

Okso if you read my sig, you will see that I work at a dealership. I want to hear your answers to4 questions:

1. What is your biggest gripe about the service department that you visit.
Arrogance and lack of knowledge, a recent trip to the dealer for a concern about my speedometer being off netted me the answer "Well they are not perfect, and if there was something that could be done for it we would not know what to do." How is that for instilling confidence in the customer. The dealer where I bought my Dakota used to be great, the service writer cared about people or at least made the appearance that he did and was friendly. They got rid of him. This dealer where I bought my Ram, I have yet to use the service department, mainly based on the first experience.

2. Same question about the parts department.
Be friendly, and be THERE...I have been in the parts department at my local dealer and spent over 5 minutes waiting for someone to come to the counter on more than one occassion, then the guy that came up to the counter acted like I, THE CUSTOMER, was inconveniancing him by coming in there.

3. What would be something that you would like to see the service department do or offer you to make your visits more frequent or more pleasant.
Other than having a "qualified staff" just treat people like you are happy that they are there, for Christ's sake they spend huge amounts of money to buy a vehicle there and are then treated like crap. Attitude goes a long way in my book toward customer service!

4. Same question about the parts department.
Knowledge of the brand you sell is probably something that comes more with time on the job, which I can understand...however instead of when someone asks for something and does not have a part number, letting out a sigh and saying "alright" in a very demeaning way, why not try smiling and say (in an upbeat way) "OK, let's see what we can find here" and be friendly.
Again, Attitude, Attitude, Attitude.
I am going to attend a service managers meeting to discuss customers concerns and want to have some idea of what can be done to make your visit to the dealer more appealing.....
Thanks in advance for you answers..........

Old 09-19-2007, 09:22 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I too only go for warruntee work, but even then I feel like I am put on the back burner. I had a breather tube come out of my 1500 2nd day I had it, took 3 techs and 4 hours to get it back in
No problem there, I am not a big fan of over $15.00 for a gallon of coolant.
3. What would be something that you would like to see the service department do or offer you to make your visits more frequent or more pleasant.
Prices are a bit high, Hell I already bought the product and they made a boat load of money off me there and then to charge over $100.00 hour for service.
No problem with parts

Old 09-19-2007, 10:21 AM
dramman

My major gripe with my dealer. Is the problem that i had with my truck running ruff. The water in fuel light came on a few days prior to a fill up. I did what the owners manual said to drain the seperator. after turning the truck back on the light stayed on in the cab. I read the manual and it said if you hear a chime 5 times, there is still water in the system. if it chimes once. there is a problem with the sensor. Well it only chimed once. SO no biggie. I'd take it in after labor day weekend. that saturday i filled up my truck at the same place i do most of the time. The next day sunday I run an errand and the truck starts running ruff. Then the check engine light comes on. I take the truck to the dealer that following Weds. ( didn't drive it until taking it to the dealer) They call me with an outrageous repair bill stating my fuel tank was 90% water and Dodge wasn't going to cover it.. Then after I spoke with Dodge Corp, and Dodge corp calling the dealer. The dealer changed their tune saying the deisel was contaminated 85% gasoline. Well they didn't even do a fuel analysis and they were spouting off all these percentages. I don't have the results of the analysis yet. But when i do And there's nothing in my fuel. There will be hell to pay.

The service manager is the one spouting off the percentages, and it seems to me because the water in the fuel light came on, that trumped all other reasons there may have been a problem. There was another code that actually tripped the MIL which was cyl 6 injector malfunction. I have a fuel sample from my truck that the dealer gave me, and there was no visible water in that sample. and it certainly didn't smell like gasoline. I just would like to deal with a forthright dealer that isn't trying to BS me into spending a **** load of money because of a miss diagnosis on my truck.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:35 PM
MCDiver
Rookie

Service departments need to know what they are doing, don't tell me what you think I want to hear, tell me the truth. If I bring my truck to to you, I trust you. If you find something wrong, I will tell you to fix it. Lie to me and you are done in my book.

Make it better for me? LOANERS, not just little POS cars, I cannot drive a car, I have a bad back, can't get in or out. I drive trucks, give me a loaner truck, if only for the day to run erronds. If I don't need it, I won't take it.

Parts? Where to start..... Sometimes when you are making a modification that was not designed for your vehicle, you need to have a good parts person that can think out of the box and help you find parts on a shelf that the computer does not know about. Just don't tell me "It's not in the computer", know something about cars or trucks and do your work at the counter. I hate standing and waiting for someone to help me after 5 minutes of leaning on the counter. Get a stoll if necessary for the parts guy and the customer and have them there at all times to help!!

Old 09-19-2007, 09:04 PM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okso if you read my sig, you will see that I work at a dealership. I want to hear your answers to4 questions:

I am going to attend a service managers meeting to discuss customers concerns and want to have some idea of what can be done to make your visit to the dealer more appealing.....
Thanks in advance for you answers..........
I'm curious, why are you asking? I agree with the above posts about service depts and parts counter people. When I first bought it, it had "railroad dust" all over it(looked like rust spots) and they refused to wash the truck!! [:@]I had to show the "service writer" and the tech where the lube point for the front driveshaft!! They claimed it wasn't greasable!
My truck was getting ****ty mileage and they supposedly "reflashed the computer" twice and it didn't help. $40+ for an oilfilter that you can get at wallyworld for less than $6.00, B.S.!![:@]And not providing a $10.00 freaking cord for the block heater that's built into every engine, what a bunch a CHEAP BASTIDS!![:@] Rant off, now back to regular scheduled forum.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:18 PM
K0FEI

No sure how to address you so I'll call you Mr. Service Manager,

This is my first Dodge ever. Usually have had Ford and Nissan.

I think the weak link on this truck is going to be the dealer service department. The closest Dodge dealer to me did an oil change for one of the guys on this forum and not only got oil and greese all over the inside of the cab, they didn't put any oil back in the motor. I don't think I will be going there for service.

The dealer where I bought my truck is in the process of building a new building (I guess its been going on for over a year). I had a couple of problems on the truck at delivery so I took it back when they scheduled me in. They addressed one problem, but there is still an ugly paint nick that they did not address after keeping the truck two days. Said something about not having electricity. Not exactly instilling confidence.

The same dealer who I took my Fords to, and I was pretty happy with, also has a Chrysler Jeep dealership pretty close I am going to see if they can service a Dodge diesel, but I doubt it.

I am very concerned that Chrysler seems to be looking for any excuse to void the warranty so I want to be sure to dot all the i's and cross all the t's. I also want to run synthetic oil in the truck. I would like the dealership where I get service to have synthetic oil as an option but again I doubt it will be the case. I think it is especially important with a turbo charged engine. The heat of a turbo can turn mineral oil to coke in a heartbeat.

As for parts, I would like them to stock parts. If they have them in stock, I will probably buy from them, if not they are going to compete aginst the web. For example, I wanted the dealer where I bought my truck to install an iPod interface. I was willing to pay full boat outside the deal, but they said there was no interface to the radio I had (the REC navagation unit). Well the Dodge website shows three, one of which is a real interface, not an FM transmitter. I ordered one on the web and saved about $30. I will have to install it myself, but I think I can handle it.

So to wrap it up:
1. Competance. I always looked at the dealer as where I take it when I don't trust anyone else to touch it.
2. A selection of products like synthetic oil and bypass filters.
3. A good selection of parts in stock.
4. Knowledge of Dodge / Chrysler parts, what can and can not be done.
6. Fair pricing.
7. Ethics. Don't try to screw the owner out of the warranty if something bad happens, especially if they bought an extended warranty.

I like the Dodge, but I sure wish I could use my Ford dealer for service.

Good luck - Frank

Old 09-19-2007, 09:28 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Biggest gripe for Service and Parts = Price, actually the same pretty much goes for 3 and 4. I go to my dealer forALL my service right now. I have a great bunch of people at my dealer from the service manager all the way through the service and parts dept. The only other thing I would ad is they need more diesel techs. The best guy passed away, the next best guy quit, and the one guy that is left is a little slow, but seems like an OK guy. Building a relationship with them has proved to be good for me with some little perks along the way. The price thing comes down to this, Idon't mind paying 20 or 30 % premium to have them do and document my work, but when you charge me $90 to replace a $15 fuel filter, or the ridiculous price they get to change the diff fluid you are really insulting me. Please pass this on in your meetings.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:15 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To answer why I am asking, I go to alot of certification classes for parts and service. It amazes me as how disconnected managers are with their customers and their customers needs. Its almost like they stay in their office pushing pencils until a customer has an issue that they HAVE to deal with. Like its a burden to talk to a customer. I see advisors that know more about selling than the actual workings of a vehicle. I see parts guys that don't know the difference a rack and pinion and a ring and pinion. I actually called the local Ford dealer looking for rack and pinion bushings for my Mustangand after a long search he finally told me that I must not what I was looking for because there are no bushings on the ring gear nor the pinion gear. I am going to another meeting and am taking a copy of these ideas and complaints(with no names of course). I want the powers that be to see what people are actually saying about their company.
BTW I am a parts guy from way back. If you call my dealership, I answer the phone in parts the majority of the time. I enjoy answering questions about parts and service. If you ever need help with a part # or service answers, call me and I will work hard to give you an answer. I have a management style of being hands-on. I do alot of electrical diags and am well versed in using the diagnostic computers. I have been WORKING on vehicles for 27 years and I still come home with grease under my fingernails everyday.I think that advisors and managers shouldstart out as techs or atleast be mechanically inclined with a working knowledge of vehicles. ...................Thanks for all the input..

Old 09-19-2007, 10:25 PM
aka_chewy
All Star

Mr. Parts/Service-

I think it's great you are trying to do something about it, now if you could get the rest of the dealerships on board, that would be great. Obviously the one common theme here is the people you have working. I don't think anyone of us thinks who we talk to should know everything, that's just not going to happen; but, we do expect for them to work for us in finding the correct answer and do it in a professional manner.

The only other gripe I have is how they charge for the service they do. I had a durango into the service department because the only way to fully flush the brake system was to hook up a scanner tool. They wanted $79.99, that's fine, I chose to spend that much. After the flush, the told me that wasn't the problem, the rear wheel cylinders were shot. $120 a side. $240 for $30 dollars worth of parts and half an hour of time. That's what really sends me over the edge. I don't care if the book say's it's going to take an hour or 1/2 hour. Charge me for the amount of time you spent working on my vehicle.

Thanks again for hearing our complaints/concerns.....

Quick Reply: Questions about dealerships, please post answers...