Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

HOLY FARK!!! Beasty died on me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HOLY FARK!!! Beasty died on me!!!

I was on the interstate going home when all of a sudden at 75mph there was this massive jolt. I thought I had been rearended by a ricer or something. I look down and my tach started going haywire. . .it went from 2400rpm down to 0, then shot back to 2300(I took my foot off the throttle to slow down) then back to 0, then back to 2200. then the CEL came on and I was doing my best to figure out WTF just happened. did my bypass just blow a hose and start dumping oil??? I look back and I see this greyish blackish fog behind me. . .I pushed a bit on the skinny pedal and I saw the THICKEST, DARKEST BCOD I have EVER seen my truck produce. . .I'm thinking great I blew an injector or 6 so I turn my TST box off. I look at my EGT and boost. . .push the pedal a bit, boost comes to 6-8psi but my egt's rocket to 1300 then 1400. . .yea I'm getting off the road[:'(]

I gear down and notice when I push the clutch in it is hard to steer and my tach goes to 0. . .put her in 4th, tach comes up and steering comes back. . .same with 3rd, second and first. . .come to a stop and she dies right there on the side of the road. . ..

time to sweat some bullets. . .whats the dammage. . .do the key trick and one code comes up. . .P0336 Crankshaft Position Sensor Performance. . .and thats it. . .I crawl out and under my truck, nearly burning my hands. . .reseat the crank sensors(TST taps into that). climb back into the cab cross my fingers, and she roars back to life. . .I let her idle for a sec. . .she sounds fine. I climb out and listen to her purr like normal. . .get back in and everything is fine. . oil, volts, temp, fuel is 1/8 lower[:@]but she's running fine. . .I take off and notice she's lacking ALOT of the get-up but she's picking up speed pretty well. . .figure lets go for broke and crank the TST back to 4/3. . .in a puff of smoke and I put the throttle to the floor I'm off. . .boost hits 35# EGT's dont go over 1100 and the next thing I know I'm on the rev limiter, and she's just singing away.

I guess I need to get some dielectric grease to keep that from happening again[:'(]

also, guy's I have a full list of all the trouble codes for these trucks. . .better than the one in the FAQ I linked to. . .I'll get it up.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:24 PM
Watermelon
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HOLY FARK!!! Beasty died on me!!!

If you wre in rush hour A-town traffic, I reckon the keister got a little tense [:@]. Its a freggin nightmare tryin to get in the emergency lane down there,. Glad she's OK. I could swap you a wrecked 04 for it. I will be comin down to Forest Park this weekend to load pumpkins for the store. We could do the trade then

Old 09-26-2007, 08:38 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

makes you nervous huh? had that happen to me once but it cleared itself pretty quick.

I also had my motor die on me when the Edge blew up. that was not fun...

Old 09-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Drew
Professional

ORIGINAL: Watermelon

If you wre in rush hour A-town traffic, I reckon the keister got a little tense [:@]. Its a freggin nightmare tryin to get in the emergency lane down there,. Glad she's OK. I could swap you a wrecked 04 for it. I will be comin down to Forest Park this weekend to load pumpkins for the store. We could do the trade then
you gunna be at the farmers market. . .might have to make a trip up there

and yea. . .I was shaking like a fall leaf during a thunderstorm. Oh, traffic on that partof I-285and the direction I go isnt all that bad. I pulled off right where the off ramp to I-75 from I285 meet.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:54 PM
jakebrake
Champion

Well at least you didn't have to put a bullet in her. Glad the old horse is back up and runnin. Had my ecm relay stick open on me the other morning, wouldn't start for nothin. New relay and she was good to go. Had to sit down and have a chat with her, haven't had a problem since.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:55 PM
Watermelon
Captain

I gotta call and line a load of pumpkins up tommorow. If I have any luck with the size I want. I will shoot down early Sunday morning. Heck, I might even let Beek ride in the back. I will p.m. you and let you know what time. We can do some burn-outs in the parking lot

Old 09-26-2007, 09:16 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Di- electric grease is a MUST. That cured my problems with the XZT. The first time I installed it, it changed the truck but not as much as I thought it should have. When I used the grease this time it now runs like I think it should. I remember from the days I used to repair CNC equipment that low voltage signals like that can be very tempermental.

Watermelon, unless you can get me back to the campground by 1:30pm Sunday I won't be able to hold the trailer down for ya.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Drew
Professional

for sure let me know. . .I plan on yanking the transmission out of my yoda this weekend, and I know I can do it in just a few hours. . .all I want to do is have it out.

If lorie and the youngin are up to it they may come as well

Old 09-26-2007, 09:38 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Glad it all worked out for you.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:21 PM
XTRIK8
Rookie

Thanks for the code list. I printed it out and will store in my glove box. One question, what is the key trick you mentioned and will it work on a '06?

Quick Reply: HOLY FARK!!! Beasty died on me!!!