Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

time for synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 09:00 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: time for synthetic?

in a previous life I was a grease monkey wrench turner in the military. . .plus I'm a gear head at heartnot long before I moved up in the world I found out I had a nack for electronics and nuclear science. actualy went to college studying physics and computer science while I turned wrenches. Now I'm much happier making more money in an airconditioned space working on radiological and chemical detection equipment. Due to my previous life my National guard unit uses me as a vehicle recovery guy.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:13 AM
cujo
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm glad that we have you as a source of information. Many thanks.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Twoforme2
Veteran

Well if you are driving 4-5k miles per month I think you could use the 7500mile oil change intervals. OR go with a Bypass filter and change filter every 25k miles. Oil does not go BAD it only becomes contaminated. If you can remove the contamination, it is still good oil.

Drew: I don't blame ya man...I used to think I liked getting greasy and dirty, Now...well I try to stay in the A/C with what I do(also in the electronic/electrical field...literally). Funny how things change as you get OLDer (damn did I just admit that).

Old 09-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Twoforme2

Well if you are driving 4-5k miles per month I think you could use the 7500mile oil change intervals. OR go with a Bypass filter and change filter every 25k miles. Oil does not go BAD it only becomes contaminated. If you can remove the contamination, it is still good oil.

Drew: I don't blame ya man...I used to think I liked getting greasy and dirty, Now...well I try to stay in the A/C with what I do(also in the electronic/electrical field...literally). Funny how things change as you get OLDer (damn did I just admit that).

I hear ya. . .heck, I'm only 29

Old 09-27-2007, 10:30 AM
minex
Veteran

ORIGINAL: farmerguy

im approaching 10,000 miles on my 07 5.9 ctd and am wondering if its ok to switch to synthetic oil. i've heard 10 k is ok and also heard to wait until 30k. any thoughts and what are you basing them on? thx,,,,,,,
Have you already done an oil change? The reason I ask is because I'm about to hit the 7500 mile mark on my 07 5.9 with the stock oil still in the engine. I was about to do an oil change when I read in the manual that the interval for normal operation on oil changes is 15,000 miles. At this rate, my first oil change won't happen until April of next year...

Quick Reply: time for synthetic?