Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Grey smoke, injector check, downloaders????

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 09:22 AM
jrlaidle
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grey smoke, injector check, downloaders????

Gonna cover a lot of topics with this post:

1. I seem to be having some grey smoke coming from my truck at idle. I noticed it the other day when the sun was just right. I don't remember my old truck smoking like that (old one was same year and engine.) Is that normal? If not, what could be the cause?

2. This truck sounds louder than the last CTD I had. Is there any way to test the injectors to make sure they are firing properly? I recently ran half a bottle of PSD thru a 1/4 tank of fuel and that did not seem to help.

3. I bought this truck used. Is there any way to check if the previous owner installed a downloader? There is no box on the truck. This truck smokes more under hard load than my old one. This may be related to questions 1 and 2 as well.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:28 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Grey smoke, injector check, downloaders????

sounds like you may have a downloader. . .does it run like a scalded cat as opposed to your old rig???

Old 09-27-2007, 10:17 AM
finny
All Star

scalded cat?

Old 09-27-2007, 10:22 AM
jrlaidle
Rookie

Seems like it runs about the same. There was about a 9 month gap between trucks, so it is a little hard to compare. How do I check to see if it has a downloader, short of going to the dealership?

Old 09-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it runs about the same then I doubt you have a downloader. the next thing that comes to mind is an injector sticking that is allowing a little extra fuel to be dumped. one way to tell if you have injector problems is 1, pull the exhaust manifold off and look to see if you have smoke comeing from one or more exhaust port.

or you can take her to the dealer and get them to hook it up to the DRB scan tool and get them to run an injector test.

guess you never heard of that analogy, scalded cat.

Quick Reply: Grey smoke, injector check, downloaders????