Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

very frustrating now...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 05:10 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very frustrating now...

some of you may recall that I just installed a "new" alternator this passed thursday. well, when I left the races sat night, the check engine light came on. the head lights and dash lights were flickerin badly. along with the charge needle dancin abck and forth .

IM guessin the electrical system on this truck was pretty fried before I got it. looks like Im hitting the wreckin yard for harness sections and electridcal components for the ignition and power in the sterrin column. there seems to be a couple badly burned wires on the bottom of the column adjacent to the ignition.
if ya have any ideas out there, I would appreciate it

Old 09-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Silverline
Veteran
Default RE: very frustrating now...

I would take the alternator back and have it checked wherever you bought it. Or just walk in and don't give them the option of not giving you another one. Chances are you bought a rebuilt and lately I've heard of people having hell with a lot of rebuilt alternators for some reason. I know we went through three in a Chevy this summer before finally getting a full refund and then some and simply bought a brand new one from Chevy. But I'd still be trying the alternator itself since its pretty easy to work on.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:49 AM
R0oster31
Veteran

I'm sorry, I hate eletrical problems. They can be the devil to find. I had an old ford that the alternator wouldn't charge right and all it was was a cheap little part that told the alternator when to turn on and off. In 23 years the part went out twice, but the second time it was a lot easier to find. Did you get the old alternator tested before you replaced it?

Old 09-30-2007, 11:36 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Don't know, just glad I did not get a callf rom you asking for a tow.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:35 PM
handymanherb
Banned

Get that alternator checked, on my 91 chevyvan, I replaced 4 alternators in one week, one right after anotherfrom Autozone, they would work for a few hours and die,then I went to NAPA and got one and it's still working.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:37 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

this alt unit is from carquest. they carry the same quality as napa, at the same time buying right from the dealers. I was told that the alt for my truck is only avail as a rebuild unit. that came from more than one auto parts store. I will take a pic of my stgeeing column wire harness. I heard dodge, in the past, has routed the lighting power through 1 circuit wich then over loads the healdlight switch and routes through the column by the ignition.

alt will be tested later too.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:59 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: Kev_n_AZ

this alt unit is from carquest. they carry the same quality as napa, at the same time buying right from the dealers. I was told that the alt for my truck is only avail as a rebuild unit. that came from more than one auto parts store. I will take a pic of my stgeeing column wire harness. I heard dodge, in the past, has routed the lighting power through 1 circuit wich then over loads the healdlight switch and routes through the column by the ignition.

alt will be tested later too.
I would get the alternator checked right away though, half of those damned things dont work right from the day they were rebuilt...

Quick Reply: very frustrating now...