Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Truck update (Dak)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 08:53 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: Truck update (Dak)

damn this house stinks of burnt gear oil!!! fresh oil yeah, burnt oh HELL no...

Old 10-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

Well for those who were interested in it's progress here it is...

had a set of 2002 dak 2wd brakes & rotors in the garage from my wifed dak... good thing I held on to them, they fit perfectly and are used on 4x4's as well as 2x4's. So I had Jr swap them out. Next up I was keeping an eye out for tires to slap on the wheels I detailed the other day and came across a guy who had a fender & door that were in excellent shape. met with him today to check them out and ended up buying them for $60 bux for the fender, $100 bux for the door. As we were chatting about his Dak that he was parting out, I mentioned that I was heading over to check out a set of tires next. He pointed to a stack of tires and said to have a look... cool, right size, dakota rim (not my 1st choice) with adequate tread left on them. Picked them up for $100 bux. cant beat it! So they are wild country 31-10.5-15's on a stock dak rim. slapped them on earlier today and took it for another spin... all seem to be balanced good enough, no vibrations up to 60.

So now with good tires on it, the steering feels much better. the chassis is still squeeking some when I go over bumps so I'll have to bust out the wd-40 and start squirting away. should help it out alot I'd think. I'm not planning on swapping out anything that isnt shot so whatever it is, I'll have to live with it. I will go yank off the front diff cover to see if there is any diff fluid in it and check things out... remember the engine compartment had gear oil all over the place as it blew out the vent tube. I'm hoping the PO overfilled it and he parked it after the smoke from the oil hit the exhaust manifold.

I made some phone calls today and have determined that the transfer case is shot. needs a rebuild. One of the wrecking yards I've delt with has one on the shelf for $400 bux. so I'm thinking I'll go pick it up and swap it in tomorrow. Once that is done then I'll be able to go smog it and get it registered. I'll drive it as is for about a week to see how everything else is and go from there. Once it's mechanically sound, then I'll get the door & fender painted to match the current color. Supposedly this is going to run me $450 for materials & labor assuming they are both stripped & preped ready for paint.

anyways.. that is about it.
I'm sorry, but is this YOUR Dak or your boy's? Looks like "someone" is working on his OWN Dak and is pawning it off as his sons in order to justify the costs.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:47 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

lol, funny... yeah it's mine, since he's not working I offered to pay him to do the work under my supervison... thats why he's doing the labor. he learns more that way and it puts some bux in his pocket. The things that will benifit him the most I will have him do, most everything else I'll take care of. I found a t-case that i'm picking up later this morning... $400 bux. we'll be putting that in this afternoon.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:52 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

since he's not working
Apple doesn't fall far from the tree huh ??

Old 10-18-2007, 02:18 PM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

the dak is coming along sweet man...looks good..post pics of when ever you get it done...are you going to use it as a daily driver? or what is it for again?

Old 10-19-2007, 01:53 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

oh sooo close... replacement t-case is in, cross member is in rear driveshaft is in... just need to do the front driveshaft, hook up the linkage, fill up the t-case and re-install the shield and it's ready to go. about 30~45 min work tops.

one interesting problem that we came across... I kind of new about it before hand, the 2 top bolts on the t-case are pretty in-accessable tried everything I could think of, there was just no room in there. So I thought we were done for the night so I could go get the right tool tomorrow and then it occured to me... the distributor wrench! same size multiple curves... just might do it. sure enough, there was room for the wrench and room to put leverage on it to bust the bolts loose! If I'd thought of it sooner, we'd been done tonight. anyways... should be on the road in the morning.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:12 AM
finny
All Star

project looks likes cummin along good

Old 10-19-2007, 02:27 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

yup... should be driveable by noon tomorrow. Next up will be to get the fender & door preped for paint, look into why the passenger side hub is loose/worn. I think as long as it's got the good t-case & I have resonable confidence in the front end, I can park it back outside so the little woman can have her spot back

Quick Reply: Truck update (Dak)