Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

sellin my fard thinkin about a dodge. NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:38 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: sellin my fard thinkin about a dodge. NEED HELP

ORIGINAL: halfdozenbuzzin

first off.. it's a dodge forum and if any of the regulars say "buy the chevy!" they'll get linched!so keep that in mind

..... buy the dodge!
the whole time reading al lthe posts this was going thru my mind...... good call halfdozen! and yes i agree with the buy the dodge theory, its brilliant[sm=smiley32.gif]!!!!!!

Old 10-18-2007, 10:43 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Drew

the 03-07.4's have injectors problems,
now maybe this is not the place to talk about "my" problems but i never knew of injector probems in my year truck... could this be a reason why i only get 11.5-12mpg's in the city driving like an old man???

Old 10-18-2007, 10:54 PM
bksram3500
Record Breaker

If I was guessing the bad mpg would be because of the 4:10s

Old 10-18-2007, 11:08 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

thats what i was thinking too but could they really make it that much worse than the 3.73 or whatever the numbers are???

Old 10-19-2007, 12:29 AM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: GeneralC.

thanks guys. i dont care what anybody says youns are the nicest group of people i have ever met online.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:07 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nickcoletti

ORIGINAL: Drew

the 03-07.4's have injectors problems,
now maybe this is not the place to talk about "my" problems but i never knew of injector probems in my year truck... could this be a reason why i only get 11.5-12mpg's in the city driving like an old man???
well theres your problem. . .you need to open up the can of whoop-*** on occasion. Ive got 4.10's run 2300rpm to hit 70mph, and still hit in the high 17's to low 18's. with nearly 20 when I let her roll straight highway.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:20 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

this is why i keep[:@] my truck, hearing things like this. i get 12 on average and on the freeway doing 70 i get around 13 or maybe 14. there is alot of times i step on it get the egt's around 1300 and i even try to slam it on every steep hill i go up but still nothing. its got almost 22k on it and the guy b4 me used it to pull a 5th wheel or some kind. i just got the xzt from quadzilla and i think its SWEET, its just enough extra power for what i need and my digital mpg gauge went up 2 but that things never right, im just hoping it actually went up to 2 because that would be alot better, ill just have to see next fill up because i just installed it tuesday.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:45 PM
powerstroke99

Just signed up today. This is what I was looking for, Drew. I have a '99 F-250 Powerstroke(since '99) and it's a good truck, but I'm a-thinkin' about a Cummins Dually.

I pull a stock trailer mostly with a good load of draft horses; sometimes a flat with my John Deeres. (I pulled 25.5K once-I weighed it at the end of the trip or wouldn't have done it probably-for 850 mi. so don't say they won't work. That was after my friend was bragging that his Cummins pulled 18K easily.)

I like the torque deal, plus the 6 cyl. They also sound good. I don't drive hard, notable exception above,and keep maintenance up.

I'm sort ofleaning toward the 5.9 manual tran. if I could find a new one. Anybody know of how I might do a national search? All the searches I've done refer to local dealers (who don't have what I'm looking for.)

So, bottom line, what are the opinions on the two engines and '07 v. '08?

Thanks,

PS99

Old 10-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well. . .you wont find any more new 5.9's. that engine was fased out at the begining of the year due to new emissions regulations. now you have the 6.7L. it is still an inline 6 design, just a little larger stroke and bore than the 5.9L.

it is going to be hard to find a 5.9L but when you do find one you better go ahead and pounce. it wont be around for long

Old 10-22-2007, 11:27 AM
HawkHoliday

What are ya gonna do with it? If all your gonna do is drive people around then get the Chevy. If ya want to tow then get a Dodge.

Duramax is having overheating problems when under load. Ford is just a plain old piece of crap.
Cummins has a few minor programming problems. But once they are worked out (I know it will be soon) they should be good to go.

Consider this: an inline 6 (like the Cummins) will always outpull a V8 like Duramax, and that crap motor Ford uses. The inline 6 will always develope more torque for pulling.

So really then it comes down to what ya want to do with the truck. I use mine for pulling. You couldn't give me anything else.

Holiday

Quick Reply: sellin my fard thinkin about a dodge. NEED HELP