Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

K & N Air intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 03:29 PM
simonsj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K & N Air intake

I heard thatK & Nair intake is not good if you have a chip on your Truck. Reason, i was toldit will screw upthe head.
Is it true?? Which intake is recommended?

Old 10-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker
Default RE: K & N Air intake

Well, not too sure about the chip deal, but it and other oiled filters are not that great for the CTD's because of the vast amount fo air they actually pull. It has been seen that they will tend to run the filters dry and render them ineffective rather quickly.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:11 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I'm running a K&N. If I had to do it all over again, I don't know if I'd choose it again because of the oil thing, but I have it and it works. I keep it pretty clean. I clean it every 5000 miles when I do oil changes.

My Pop just bought a new intake for his 03 Ram. I know I've seen them mentioned here before but I just can't think of the name right now. It begins with an A. AFE I think. He says he's getting a 2mpg increase ever since he's installed it.

These new ones that I see with the plexiglass covers on them "look" cool ( S&B ? ), but I don't knowanything about them.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:11 PM
usafr
All Star

I'm runnin K&N and haven't had any problems with it. I've cleaned it a couple times, but I heard a few years ago that if you just let it kinda build up a layer of crap on it, it actually filters better. Belive it or not, this theory has worked pretty well for me. I check it now and then to make sure it doesn't have any holes or isn't loose anywhere. I'm probably going to replace it soon with a big ol napa filter or something.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:15 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: usafr

I heard a few years ago that if you just let it kinda build up a layer of crap on it, it actually filters better.
Sure, I can easily believe that. Dirt has to work harder to get past older dirt. I was actually thinking about getting one of those K&N filter sockes or watever you call them that cover the filter and keep dust from collecting on them for that same purpose.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:11 PM
usafr
All Star

I saw one of those today and I'm thinking of getting one too. I actually pulled mine off and cleaned it today, it hasn't been cleaned in about a year. The turbo fins looked fairly clean as well as the interior of the housing and the tube. I checked like 3 parts places looking for a Napa filter to replace the K&N with, but no one had one in stock.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:22 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

ORIGINAL: usafr

I heard a few years ago that if you just let it kinda build up a layer of crap on it, it actually filters better.
Sure, I can easily believe that. Dirt has to work harder to get past older dirt. I was actually thinking about getting one of those K&N filter sockes or watever you call them that cover the filter and keep dust from collecting on them for that same purpose.
Mayfair. they are called condoms..... Seriously they are called prefilters

Old 10-24-2007, 10:50 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

hey on the AFE filter & k&N filter debates... I used the K&N oil to re-oil my filter... pulled the filter off a while back to have a look and it was nice & clean on the inside of the intake tube.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:41 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Are you still doing the Simple Green thing Steve?

Old 10-25-2007, 12:06 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

just did it the last time I cleaned it. remember I did the AFE vs K&N cleaning test and the K&N came out on top. when i was all done I still felt it was plugged some so about a month later I yanked it out again and did the simple green cleaning after the K&N cleaning... still lots of stuff came out. the downside was it took 3 days or so to dry. I actually ran it while it was still wet with no ill affects.

Quick Reply: K & N Air intake