Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Selling the Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 07:40 PM
motorider228
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling the Hemi

Well I'm thinking about getting rid of the Hemi and buying a 2nd generation Cummins. I have wanted a diesel for a very long time and am ready to get rid of my 06 hemi ram and get one. More than likely being 19 I will only be able to buy a high mileage second generation so I was wondering what to watch out for when buying a high mileage 5.9? I know that 48 blocks are bad news but other than that what else is there? How many miles is too many miles? What does a decent motor and tranny rebuild kit cost? Thanks guys and gals for any info.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Default RE: Selling the Hemi

I believe it was the "53" blocks, not 48. Do a search, I feel sorry for these guys having to answer this exact question every other day

Old 10-24-2007, 07:58 PM
FroneDaddy
Captain

Old 10-24-2007, 08:03 PM
motorider228
Champion

Yeah my bad on the 53 block. I would feel bad....but the 3rd gen section is flooded with people asking about which exhaust they should get and which intake is the best. I tend to deal with the noobs asking the same questions over and over so I would assume the guys that don't want to read this stuff and answer for me just wouldn't read the thread.

Edit: The search feature on this forum renders few results for what I search for as well.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: motorider228

Yeah my bad on the 53 block. I would feel bad....but the 3rd gen section is flooded with people asking about which exhaust they should get and which intake is the best. I tend to deal with the noobs asking the same questions over and over so I would assume the guys that don't want to read this stuff and answer for me just wouldn't read the thread.

Edit: The search feature on this forum renders few results for what I search for as well.
I didnt mean anything by it, like you said though it is mostly noobs asking the same questions over and over that annoys most of us.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:33 PM
Ben D.
Champion

hmm big turnaround now moto? a while ago i remember you posting that your hemi was a pos and you were gonna dealer buy back it and never buy another dodge again? well good to hear ur gonna stick with it.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:48 AM
motorider228
Champion

It's not really a pos, just a steering vibration dodge can not fix, squeaky front suspension when it is cold out and had my tranny go at 6k miles. The steering and suspension things are common problems among the two wheel drives last I checked. As for the buy back, I gave up on that after it taking for ever. With school and work i do not have the time.

As for not buying a dodge again, I won't buy a dodge gasoline vehicle again that is not an srt, dodge will always be my primary pick for diesels.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:15 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Not all of the 53 blocks are bad. Mine is a 53 block and I've got 176k on it. I'd say it is pretty much safe to assume that if you find a truck with a 53 block and they towed with it and the block is not cracked, then you aren't going to have any problems with it. But if I had a choice between 2 trucks and one had a 53, that would be the one I'd stay away from.

If you do have a 53 there are a few things you can do to prevent damage. Use your block heater when it gets cold and let the engine warm up before really heavy use. Here is some more reading on the issue if anyone is interested.

http://www.stamey.info/Truck/Cummins53BlockFAQ.htm

Old 10-25-2007, 08:54 AM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

you will love your decision. i am 18 and in high school and sold my 2003 hemi 2500 for a 2002 dodge 2500 cummins...i would never go back to a HEMI!

Old 10-25-2007, 09:42 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

i debated this for a while but right now is not a good time for me to change trucks.. i figure when im done school im gonna get a cummins and do it up nice! but while im in school i'll do what i can with my hemi!

Quick Reply: Selling the Hemi