Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Couple of questions! Ram ctd

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 05:01 AM
DC350
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of questions! Ram ctd

Hey everyone,

Brand new member here.. Just wanted to ask a few questions about the 2500 2nd gen series.. I have been looking everywhere for a cummins turbo diesel.. And it seems that i can only find short box and long box? Do they even make an extended cab regular box design? Also, i have heard the front ends are crap, ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, etc.. Is this true? Are there any fixes for this besides replacing these parts every 20,000km? If someone wouldn't mind getting back to me that would be great! Hope to be in a CTD soon!

Evan

Old 10-25-2007, 07:58 AM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker
Default RE: Couple of questions! Ram ctd

Yeah, they totally made a extended cab short box truck, just gotta dig a little deeper.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:04 AM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

After a second read, I understand your question a bit better. Dodge only made two sizes of truck boxes and really still only does ( with exception of the concept BFT ) there is the short or standard box measuring in at about 6 foot 3 inches give or a take an inch or so and then there is the long box at about 8 feet. There were several models put out ranging from single cab long bed to extended cab long bed and extended cab short bed. The one truck they didn't make, which lot of people ask for is the regular cab short bed CTD. They have it in gas but not diesel. Hope this helps.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:10 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

If you replace the ball joints, trac bar and front end parts (when they go out) with a really good aftermarket brand name like Moog, you won't have any issues. My stock ball joints and trac-bar went out at 40k and I replaced them with Moog. I have 176k on the truck and still have the Moog ball joints on there. The trac bar went out a few months ago, so I only got about 120k out of it. Which in my opion is good, considering the extra front end weight my 01 has from the straight axle, transfer case and 4x4 parts up front. These trucks are very heavy in the front end. The Cummins engine isn't light either.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:15 PM
DC350

Thanks for all the help guys.. Appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Couple of questions! Ram ctd