Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

01manual vs. 06 auto

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 10:46 PM
EP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01manual vs. 06 auto

I am looking at 2 dodges for my first diesel truck. One is an 01 3500 dually that is 6spd and has 48,000 miles. The truck is in excellent shape. The other is an 06 2500 reg. cab that is automatic.This truck has 18k miles. My question is which would be a better truck(overlooking cost) . I want a truck that i can put a chip, intake, and exhaust, maybe some other small performance parts on and not have to worry about tearing it up. I have heard alot of bad things about these dodge automatics but I dont know if they are really as bad as people say or not. I will be using the truck for mainly highway driving to college and back during the week and maybe to haul my land cruiser like once a month. Will the automatic hold up or will I be better off with the 6spd? I dont want to replace torque converters or transmissions. I want something that will last for a long time and get good fuel mileage and have lots of power- thats why I am going with a cummins. Just wanted some opinions- Thanx

Old 10-25-2007, 10:59 PM
CutterW
Captain
Default RE: 01manual vs. 06 auto

The auto wont handle much more HP so if you wanting to chip go with the manual. I like the 01 engine personally. I have an auto tranny and plan on having it rebuilt soon. and an 01 with 48k miles is really nice. Just have the fuel pressure checked and buy a Fass fueling system in your combo of mods.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:01 PM
bksram3500
Record Breaker

Either way you will end up with a good truck. I got the manual just because I have always wanted one but the auto will be fine as long as you don't over achieve with the power

Old 10-25-2007, 11:12 PM
austin
Veteran

Well crap guys I am looking at going from a manual truck(LOVE it, but with a lift and big tires... Manuals are hard in the mud and rocks!)

So I was planning on going with an auto. With a edge programer, intake,exhaust,6in lift, and 37in tires... Will a auto handle that well??

Thanks!

Old 10-25-2007, 11:16 PM
CutterW
Captain

I would say get it rebuilt for anything over 50-100HP over stock. I'm about 30 over and it doesnt do anything abnormal but I don't feel like testing it when I need it most. and I wouldnt mind seeing how much a rebuilt tranny would help a stock pickup.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:21 PM
EP

I have been looking at an edge juice with attitude, a 5" exhaust and a cold air intake. That's as far as my mods will go while I am in college. My buddy has a 98 12valve and his stock tranny didnt hold up very long(under 100,000 miles). I like the styling of the newer but I like manual transmissions, I justdont know if I like the styling enough to go withan automatic though I dont know which to go with. I just have to go faster than an 03 duramax 6spd manual with 5" exhaust, PPE chip, juice w/ attitude, volant intake, and a slipping clutch- thats my main goal

Old 10-25-2007, 11:59 PM
CutterW
Captain

Do Intake/Straight pipe from stock exhaust, FASS and Edge/Att. If you dont get very testy with it your tranny in the manual should hold up. Just dont get testy specially with a load. Reason I say FASS is you get rid of intank pump and it will keep a steay supply of fuel to you engine and VP44 so your not starving it. the 800 or so FASS is cheaper than the 1200 VP44

Old 10-26-2007, 01:44 AM
redneckracer212
Rookie

I love my '01 it is an auto though, but as far as trannies being crap when you upgrade your engine I have yet to see this in mine. I have 4" straight pipe, K&N intake, Hypertech programmer 66 hp 140 ft lbs, and Diablo Chip tuned 90 hp and 230 ft. lbs. and mmy tranny has yet to be a problem with 104,000 miles on 'er. As far as the fueling Cutter is right you need to do soething about that, but if you wanna save money you can have your stock lift pump checked out to see if it is still good and if it is you can add a second stock lift pump to your truck mounted by the fuel tank so that the main lift pump will get enough fuel to it and that will save you about $500, FASS is $699 stock pump is about $200. They will both take care of the fueling problems the '01 has though, and if you go with the stock pump compared to the FASS you won't produce as much black smoke which will save you more money on fuel because black smoke = lower mpg. However as far as the two trucks your looking at go keep in mind that you can have the warranty switched over to you on the '06 for like $75 if you are buying it from a private owner.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:28 AM
woligator
Record Breaker

I have a 01 3500 dually 6spd like u seeking to buy,i trully love my truck,
BUT since its a 4x4 and that weight some much over 2x4 in stock form it weight 3300KG
and in Canada over 3000KG u must follow 10 wheels regulations,that mean no more small bridges,u must obey NO TRUCK signs and u must stop by the scale on the highway...not much a concern when u know where they are and there is always a cross way to get pass them
Beside that i really love my truck,i got 35' tires and its really fine
GOT 4X4 ? NO WAY I GOT A 6X6

Quick Reply: 01manual vs. 06 auto