Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

FASS or Air Dog

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 04:00 PM
solarwarp
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FASS or Air Dog

You change your fuel filter every 2k miles? I change every other oil change about 7-8k.

Most people will bypass the existing filter. Some people plumb the system into the existing filter because they want to use the water in fuel light and fuel heater.

Don't know about availability of filters... I don't have a FASS or Air Dog yet, but still want to get one. They aren't just a filter and fuel pump, I am still trying to figure out how much benefit it will be. They are designed to remove water, particulates, vapor and entrained air from the diesel fuel.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Super Dave
Veteran

The filters for the FASS and Airdog only need to be changed every 50K miles or so. These systems are just scaled down versions for OTR trucks and were designed to give many miles of service between changes.
Even stock, you are wasting money changing the fuel filter every 2K. It only needs it about every 15K.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:22 PM
KillerCummins
Professional

I have had multiple filters clogg up and leave me stranded at 3k. I carry a spare so I can get as much as I can out of each one. I just run it until the truck is hard to start, by then my milage has gone down 1-2mpg so I know it is time. I'm not sure why, I guess the fuel is of poor quality down here by the border, orI run my little truck harder than you guys since I'm young. Guess I'll just have to get a lift pump w/o the system so I can afford to filter my fuel [:@]

Old 11-30-2007, 12:01 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Either that or get yourselfa pre-filter that uses inexpensive replacement cartridges.

Have you ever though that you may just have a load of sand or something still in your tank and that you might be better off draining it and flushing it? 2K out of ANY filter is pretty sad.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:12 AM
KillerCummins
Professional

I have thought about that, but I think it is just the amount of fuel I go through and how fast it gets sucked through the filter.I will check one day if I every have time. Thanks for the suggestion buddy

Old 11-30-2007, 12:14 AM
solarwarp
Veteran

ORIGINAL: KillerCummins

I guess the fuel is of poor quality down here by the border,
Por favor! Poor quality fuel on the border ...Your profile says South Padre Island ... you're playing like Bay Watch running up and down the beach in the sand chasing female tourists aren't you.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:11 AM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

I like my FASS alot...holds my fuel pressure right where I need it to be..never drops below 13 hauling....and stock I could see 0. The only problem I had was the weld on that part that goes into the filter net was wrong but they said they would send me a new one but I had already fixed it and re welded it.

www.kensperformancesolutions.com great guy that has a pretty good deal on the FASS products

Old 11-30-2007, 09:40 PM
KillerCummins
Professional

ORIGINAL: solarwarp

you're playing like Bay Watch running up and down the beach in the sand chasing female tourists aren't you.
I wish.... I commute 60mione wayfor school/work. I guess its the price you pay to live on the water. I have a camera, but no cord to post a picture of the harbor I live in. When the season is right, the female tourists are plenty, but it's winter [:@]

Quick Reply: FASS or Air Dog