Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Bad news?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bad news?

It would be a very sad day in Diesel paradise if the silly fordboys steal our motors. I just don't see it happening though. I truly beleive the "New" pentastar is wise enough to realize losing that powerplant would kill their line.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:20 PM
bigmike
Professional

Isn't Cummins developing a couple of smaller diesels specifically for the halfton Rams and the Dakotas?? It doesn't make a lot of sense that they would go to this effort if they didn't foresee a continuing relationship with the Dodge brand.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sa1765

bill ford (ex ceo of ford) is on the board of cummins (even while he was ceo of ford). due to conflicts of interest, they (ford) couldn't use cummins engines in ford trucks-that's federal law. now that bill ford isn't ceo anymore, cummins will be the exclusive diesel engine of ford trucks starting in 2011 (end of dodge/cummins contract). that is why international-navistar is suing ford right now, because ford is working on a diesel engine that isn't international's design. they are claiming it is their design but ford is building it as their own. in reality, it is a cummins design that is going into the f150/expedition. it's a 4.5 liter I-6. supposed to be about the best diesel engine in development right now. dodge is trying to get a contract with mercedes to continue to develop a slightly larger version of the 3L v-6 that's used in the grand cherokee right now to be put into the 1/2 ton rams. as of right now, it's doubtful that a cummins will be in a dodge after the 2010 model year. there are rumors of a dodge ram with a cat engine, but cat says they don't have the production capacity to manufacture another engine for consumer use that will meet federal emmisions requirements and wants to stick with the big stuff. there are also rumors of a joint venture between chrysler and hyundia of korea to continue to develop a larger diesel engine suitable for large trucks. hyundia is currently using small 2 and 3 liter engines in their non-U.S. vehicles. the next year or two will be very interesting for the heavy duty truck market due to the big 3 having major changes w/ drivetrain and toyota and nissan introducing trucks to not only compete in the market, but to raise the bar by about 3 levels. toyota is claiming it will have a v-8 diesel that creates over 750lb-ft/480hp stock and can get over 26mpg highway. payload options as high as 6k lb, and 5th wheel towing as high as 25k lb. nissan hasn't made any statements as of yet about their trucks capabilities or specs, but they are expected to be on par with toyota.

now, if you think any of this is crap, congrats. you have an IQ high enough to work for our government. if you believe this, feel free to pass it on to any of your friends.

*SIGH*

This type ofCRAP* comes around about every year and it is the same nonsence that Ford dealers want people to believe. . . Cummins and Chrystler do have a contract through 2011, however that contracthas comeup to renewalmany times in the past, and the same rhetoric has been spewed out from the ford camp that the Cummins is going to be yanked out of the ram. . .and every time the contract is renegotiated the Cummins stays. Ford did own stock in Cummins, however long ago Cummins bought that stock back from Ford. Ford does buy engine from Cummins to power their 6/7/8 market. however the 5.9L and now the 6.7L ISB is proprietary to the Ram and no other vehicle manufacturer can use the engine. now they can use variations of the engine, however they cannot use that exact platform.

The Ford guys would absolutely love to have a Cummins under the hood from the factory in their 2/350's.That is not going to happen any time soon since Ford has their own engineers work the engine over into the POS they use now. Cummins wont allow that and thus the finger pointing you are now seeing between Ford and International.

oh, that V6 that Dodge is wanting for the 1500's is not made by Mercedes. Chrystler has been working with Cummins since 04 testing a 4.7L V6 TD and a 5.6L V8 TD to be used in the Ram possably starting in '09.

Chrystler and Cummins have had a very good working relationship since '88 when the first testing of the Cummins started. I doubt after nearly 20 years the two would break things off unless something spectacular happened.

* BTW, I work for the Gov't thank you

Old 11-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Master Baiter

Old 11-01-2007, 04:57 PM
aka_chewy
All Star

^^^^^^What he said

Old 11-01-2007, 09:09 PM
99cummins
Professional

wow drew thanks for the info, I thought for the longest time ever that ford partially owned cummins lol

Old 11-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Nicky B
Captain

Though I would hate to see an F-250 with a cumminsI wouldn't mind the King Ranch models interior but I would mind the worthless powerstroke motor.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:14 PM
rangerman
Professional

Thanks for the great info....I was scared there for awhile.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:29 PM
bksram3500
Record Breaker

I kinda hate to say it but, I think That I would have to stick with cummins even if they put it in a ford. Gotta love the cummins

Old 11-02-2007, 07:17 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bksram3500

I kinda hate to say it but, I think That I would have to stick with cummins even if they put it in a ford. Gotta love the cummins

that would depend on what ford did to the motor since they are natorious for useing an engine that is too small for the HP aplication needed.

the 6.0 from IH is only rated at 275hp, yet ford is asking 325 out of it, also the torque specs are increased, this is why that engine has issues, it is pretty much tapped out before ford gets on it.

Quick Reply: Bad news?